We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

Is anyone having as much difficulty as I am in buying train tickets from Prague to Vienna via the online website https://eshop.cd.cz ?

I need 2 tickets with seat reservation but each time I try 'selecting seat' the ticket automatically defaults to 1 instead of 2. Am I doing something wrong?

Also the ticket option says "ticket", "seat reservation" and "SC/Rail plus seat reservation". I chose "SC/Rail plus seat reservation" - is this correct?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,645 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

You need to buy the tickets first - the system will allow you to do that - then put the tickets in the basket. Then the note under the purchases says Next ticket - then you can buy reservations but individually only. Make sure you select seats which are available and next to one another.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 17:37
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

You don't really need a reservation - I have been on that train countless times and have never reserved. Just an unneccesary expense - unless you get the SC it is not compulsory.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

Hi thanks for the tip. I was looking thru google n comparing the first and second class. Since I can only buy second class tics online and not first, is it worth paying considering me and my husband wld b travelling with rather large bags?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

There is no more space for your luggage in first class - in fact probably less as there is only one first class carriage which is usually full of tourists with large bags travelling on expensive passes :)

Second class is just as comfortable - there is overhead luggage storage space, but if you are travelling by train then you would be wise to try and limit the amount you are bringing as there is no help available at the stations and there is quite a step up from the platform onto the train. If you are going at a busy time then there will be a lot of people trying to get on the train at the time time and I wouldn't expect a lot of chivalry!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

Hi GCEK

thanks for the feedback. I did read about the overhead luggage space but as our bags are the large 70cm roller wheel type I doubt we could even lift or much less fit them on the top racks.

I guess I may just have to try n buy 1st class tickets when I get to Prague.

What I wanted to enquire additionally was - where do ppl keep their luggages in the 2nd class if not for the overhead racks? Especially those with large roller wheel kinds? I read somewhere that there is a luggage storage area but I'm a bit concern leaving them there n not having an eye on them.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

Honestly - 1st class would be a waste of money, as there is no more space in there to put your bags than in second, probably even less in fact - you would still have to lift it up to the luggage rack. There is no special luggage storage area that I know of.

The simple answer is most people in the know don't bring massive luggage on the trains, but 70 cm should be manageable. It all depends on how busy the train is - you just have to put it where you can find space. Nobody is going to walk off with it as there are only a couple of stops on the way and nobody is going to bother taking large luggage. Such crime is rare to unheard-of.

If you get a train that starts in Prague and you get there early enough - say 15 minutes before the train leaves, it should be in the station and you can just take your pick of seats.

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

I travelled with my family on the 0839 service about 3 weeks ago. Based on this I definitely recommend seat reservations. We got on the train 20 mins before departure and it was already quite busy, I had to ask someone to leave our reserved seats. By the time it left the train was almost full, in our carriage there was the odd seat free but no pairs/fours. As for luggage space, best to only travel with bags you can both lift on/off the train and onto the overhead racks comfortably (they are quite wide, but high).

Also, the train was not as comfortable as I expected for a train between such major cities. Space was fine but seats getting worn and there was no aircon/ventilation other than by opening the windows, so pot luck how many people want them open, and the lav was the old fashioned look at the tracks as you flush type.

We bought some snacks/drinks at Prague station before leaving which was well worth it.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 15:50
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

hey spring63, thanks for the reply. did you take the second class too? so i guess most ppl would buy non-reserved seats and just sit where they like ... i would have thought there's a section for 'reserved' seats :P

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

We were also second class as I booked online well ahead of travel, and its a great price. But I thought it was worth paying a little more to reserve seats given how busy the train was.

Don't worry reserved seats are marked, but they are not in a separate section, the whole carriage is fairly open. Some seats are reserved, some not and I think some people just take a chance and sit anywhere. Those in our seats moved over to others when we asked with no hassle.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying train tickets online from Prague to Vienna

pardon my ignorance but what does "SC/Rail plus seat reservation only" mean?