We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good location

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good location

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling to Prague in November and have seen an apartment that we are interested in. The description says it is in Mala Strana. The street is Plaska Street.

Is this in a nice area? Also we want to be able to go to bars and restaurants in the evening and would consider 1km to be an acceptable distance to walk to local bars.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Susan

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good location

Yes, quite a central area, walk across the bridge and you are at the National Theatre, walk along the embankment and you are on Kampa which is my favourite part of Prague. Plenty of restaurants and bars in the area, and not a problem walking home in the evening( 1 kilometre distance)

As long as the apartments suit you, go ahead.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good location

the area is ok

you're close to mala strana and kampa

and just in front of petrin hill, very nice

in front of you you'll find also strelecky island, nice area

enjoy!

California
Level Contributor
962 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good location

Yes, this is actually my favorite area in Prague! Are you looking at the Hungerwall apartments? I stayed there and the building and apartment was really beautiful. There is a great place for breakfast just around the corner called Cafe Savoy. It's a big, old world style cafe. There's also a good Czech restaurant around the corner called Kolkolvna. The walk to the old town area is easy and really nice if you pass through Kampa park. If you don't feel like walking you can also jump on the tram for a couple of stops and get off near Charles Bridge.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good location

Thanks All,

We are actually looking at one of the apartments in this building.

prague-stay.com/accommodation/…

I read on this forum that mala strana was a good place to stay in Prague, but I don't know if this apartment is actually in mala strana?

Can we walk back in the evening safely as I don't fancy walking through a park at night?

We've never stayed in apartments on holiday before - normally stay in a hotel but looking forward to this! Last time in Prague 2003 we stayed ina pension just behing the main square, but think something different may be good.

The apartment itself looks great for us - I looked at a lot of apartments including some beautiful ones in the eves of buildings, but my 6'4" husband insists on somewhere he can stand up in. :-)

The only thing holding us back at the moment is that we have no idea of the location. I'm feeling reassured!

Thanks

Susan

Prague
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good location

Yes this is actually an excellent location, a very pleasant walk into the old town, right by the river with some excellent restaurants and bars in your immediate vicinty. Also, it's just outside of the main tourist drag so you won;t be swamped by tourist (at least until you venture towards Charles Bridge). The company renting the apartment is also very reputable in Prague so no worries about arriving at a dirty or scruffy property.

You should try out bohemia bagel for breakfast/lunch (if not included in your apartment rate). It's ca 30m from the apartments and does good food with bottomless drinks.

Also the new Hop-On Hop-Off (Open Top) Bus Tour has just started in Prague, it has a stop just at the river/bridge (outside Cafe Savoy) near you, but you can also get tickets at old town square. I've just sent my parents (who visited me) on it and they absolutely lovedit, live guides, lots of info, 24hr ticket and no need to drag yourself all over town in 30 C heat. You can get off ot teh sights you want to see, grab a drink and then jump back on!

That reminds me, Cafe Savoy has a very good breakfats menu also!

Enjoy!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good location

Thanks all - I think we'll go for it!

Irish_in_prague - in November 30 degree heat won't be a concern :-( fingers crossed for limited rain though, and we'll look into it.

We have 7 days so plenty of time to explore!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good location

Irish -in -prague,have you got a website for the HOHObus.

coming over for a few days at the beginning of the month so would like to try it out.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 12:27
Prague
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good location

Sorry, didn't read properly realise that you came in Nov!

Just did a quick check and no website but this did only start up a few weeks ago so maybe it's under cons...?

I see the guys selling tickets everyday in the old town square with all the other tour operators... green t-shirts saying "HOHO" or something to that effect, and they have flyers at the airport arrivals/baggae hall. Maybe get more info there.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,943 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good location

I will look out for it when I come over in December ,sounds a great idea.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a good location

I will look out for it too.

I love the Nostalgic tram,my 2 mates and I did that trip a few years back and it was real fun,Unfortunately it only runs during the summertime weekends.