We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

My college son just got pick pocketed at the train station. Secure your money, credit cards in your front pocket. Some say wrap in multiple rubber bands so it is difficult to remove from your pocket.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 01:02
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,401 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

good advice

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

I'm bumping this one up again. I don't know if this as a "baggy jeans" issue but when traversing major hot spots like the train station you should really think about splitting cards and cash over you pockets so "elastic bands" won't be necessary. Just think "am I presenting an easy target" by your choice of how you are carrying valuables and take the most basic measures to put people off trying to nick them. Yes there are pickpockets here so don't give them a chance.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

So, the same as New York then, and most major cities frequented by tourists.

Stoofer

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

Its also easier to get pick pocketed on your own rather than groups

You sometimes get marked with chalk on back etc as generally pickpockets work as a team of say 2 or 3

You will often get distracted first or bumped

Sometimes a stanley blade or similar will simply cut through materials

We have tendancy to keep touching ourselves where our valuables are

Hardest place to pick pocket is around the neck or chest as we react to being touched there.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

Yes you get pickpocketers in many major cities (and mid sized cities, and small towns, and motorway service stations, and airports.....) however I don't think anybody that posts about pick pocketers in Prague are saying it's worse than other big cities, but remember that most people that post here are going on holiday a) as tourists so a natural target, and no make life extra easy a lot of people let their guard down on holiday, b) to somewhere we don't know, c) carrying more valuables than we may do in our normal life and c) as people that don't spend a lot of time in busy cities.

I think these comments are valuable advice to us as tourists and us in our general lives.

I wouldn't think that any of them are suggesting that Prague is a bad place :-)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

Good advice. These people are professionals and are not going to waste their time with someone who looks aware and is taking precautions. Through my position I deal with a number of people who have been pickpocketted, and the precautions outlined here would have prevented most of it:

*Wallets in front pocket.

*Hold pocket if bumped (or someone stops dead in front of you forcing you to bump him - his partner is behind you pickpocketing you or your bag)

*be careful getting on/off trams/trains

*don't leave bags unattended

*be careful in restaurants with people sitting nearby

Prague is a beautifyl city, but there are professional petty theives here. However, I have never heard of a physical mugging or robery, so simple precatuations will keep your money (and documents) safe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

Good point from Kiwidave

I bet a lot of petty crime in Prague isnt pick pockets but simple theft from unattended bags whilst enjoying the beer

8. Re: beware pick- pocketers in busy areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 04:16