We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

absinth

charleroi, pa
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
absinth

hi i'll be in prague in a few weeks and coworkers are asking me to bring back bottles of absinth is there any name brand better then the other or which should i purchase thanks

Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: absinth

Hi, I'm not an expert in different brands of Absinth but there's a nice alcohol shop in Na Mustku street, so you can try to ask its staff ...

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: absinth

Forget the Absinthe get some Becherovka! :0)

Only joking...

Some famous brands are Hill's Absinth, Staroplzenecky Absinth, Absinth King of Spirits, Red Absinth (Red in color), Absinthe Original, and La Fee Absinth.

Tesco is a good place to have a browse.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: absinth

IMO all brands are the same - nasty and undrinkable :) It isn't the real thing, though - you have to go to Switzerland for that, and in order to make the Czech versions more 'drinkable' they introduced the gimmicky 'burning' procedure, which has no relation to tradition.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: absinth

I've only had absinthe twice. Really, tell your comrades they want to skip the experience.

A recent news report stated that up to 50% of bottled, distilled spirits sold in CR come from adulterated, industrial ethanol. I can only imagine what goes on with absinthe here.

If you really want absinthe, visit Zurich.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: absinth

I remember when it first came out in a big way and it was quite popular for a couple of weeks but people soon realised that it was filthy stuff (and this coming from the land that sells rum that was banned being called rum by the rum people, so that is saying something) and the manufacturers had to think up ways of making it more palatable which involved the aforementioned burning procedure and copious amounts of sugar. It only caught on with the tourists, though (especially the British ones), who seemed to think it was some ancient tradition so the locals let them get on with it and to be frank have a bit of a laugh when observing them doing so.

I can safely say that neither I nor my Czech friends (at least when we are at the pub, which is relatively often, and even the confirmed alcoholics amongst them) have not ordered absinth since about 1992.

But buy a bottle anyway and find out for yourself :)

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: absinth

Remember the Absinth is not for the OP but for their co workers.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: absinth

Pivovarn - I have no idea which one to buy, but whatever you do buy small bottles - really just tiny ones so that you don't waste your cash or your baggage allowance.

We brought a bottle back from Prague in 2003 (we were young...). Attempted to drink it a number of times. So by the time we threw it out a couple of years ago there was maybe an inch taken out, from us pouring some, smelling it and throwing it down the sink.

If I was you, I'd treat it like any other gimicky souvenir. Don't spend too much and don't be too offended if it ends up in the bin :-)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,339 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: absinth

that's an excellent advice, I've been bringing bits and bobs for our local landlord, and to my recollection, nothing has ever been a success.

9. Re: absinth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 11:05
charleroi, pa
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: absinth

thanks all for the advice