We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

We are staying in the Mala Strana area of Prague for 3 nights and are arriving by car. I would like to know the best and cheapest options for parking our car safely.

a) Is using the P+R an option for 3 nights. Are they safe (for example Skalka station)

b) What are the other cheap guarded options. I don't mind taking a metro from near the parking lot if it saves some money

c) If there are truly no cheap options, what are the most convenient lots for Mala Strana (we are staying next to the St Nicholas Church)

I'm hoping some Prague experts can help. Thank you.

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

I think you might have mailed me direct so the info about Skalka is still correct. It would help in posts like this to know the type of car that you will be driving and if it is a hire car etc. The car is not going to be stolen or broken into just because it has a foreign number plate. The experts here will tell you that the covered parking in Prague (your closest will be the Rudolfinum) works out to about 600Kc per day. Other options include parking in the area above the castle in Prague 6 (good area and connected to Mala Strana by tram).

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

Thanks for your response. This will be a rental car. What we have reserved is a mid-size (Opel Astra) but they will likely give me an upgrade which I will accept since we are a group of 4. Therefore I'm not sure what make the car will turn out to be though I do know Hertz does not give Volvo, Mercedes and similar makes for travel into Czech Republic.

Since Skalka is an external / open facility is there a better metro station with P+R that is covered / underground. The apartment we were staying at also mentioned a Drtinova parking lot but also said its frequently full because of the good rate they offer near to Mala Strana

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

If you really need a car my advice would be as Sova suggests - park in Prague 6 on a quiet residential road and forget about it for the duration of your stay as it will just be an expensive hindrance otherwise.

Whereabouts in Germany are you coming from? A group of 4 can travel by train for not very much - c. €15 each from Munich, for example.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

Hello GCEK. Thanks for your response. I will research the Praha 6 area now. We are actually doing a circuit covering the highlights of central europe over a period of 3 weeks. We will start in Berlin with the rental car, visit Krakow, Budapest, Vienna and Prague along with various towns, villages and attractions on the way.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

Somewhere on Hanspaulka - Na Kodymce, Na Klimentce - any of the streets around there. Where all the big villas are. Just make sure the street isn't going to be cleaned for the time you are there (there will be a sign on the road) or it might be towed - that only happens once a month, though. It is by far my favourite part of Prague - fantastic 1920s functionalist architecture with great views over the city. You can find it on googlemaps

The same goes for the other cities you mention - none are car-friendly - I hope you know what you are letting yourselves in for :) The bits in between are fine - as for the cities, well rather you than me ... Don't forget you will need the highway stickers for Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria and Slovakia - the fines are heavy and on the spot for failure to have one. Also funny local laws such as having headlights on at all times, etc.

6. Re: Safe Car Parking in Mala Strana, Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 04:17