We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese crispy duck!!!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese crispy duck!!!

Hi

I had crispy duck at a Chinese restaurant which turned out to be the worst Chinese meal I have ever had anywhere, I am probably going to do a review but first I was looking for some feedback on here as it was the 1st and only Chinese I have had in Czech Republic now then crispy duck.

I am not a chef but I believe the crispy duck over here is not just bunged in the oven but cooked specially, I believe they marinade it for a few hours then steam it before being seared it in a wok and when it is served it is produced on a platter where the waitress forks the flesh off the carcass, it is served with pancakes, cucumber, spring onion and plum sauce.

What I got was duck which had just been bunged in the oven served over “prawn crackers” with a bowl of what appeared to me to be bisto gravy granules and a side order of egg fried rice, and even the egg fried rice was tasteless and appeared to have been just done in ordinary oil with nothing else.

The whole thing was terrible, eh if you order crispy duck over there is this usually what you get?

Oh the price with a beer was 420Czk about £13.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

The crispy duck you're talking about (with pancakes, cucumber, spring onion and plum sauce) is Peking Duck. You can get other Chinese varieties where it is crispy, but it must have been a pretty crap Chinese restaurant if they put it on prawn crackers (I'm 1/2 Chinese).

I'm not sure why you chose to eat Chinese duck in Prague - Czech duck is delicious! We had a crispy-type duck lunch in Prague at a Czech place - can't remember where, but it was fantastic.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

Chinese restaurants here are quite well known for their Cat Kung Pao

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

The only Chinese I've ever utilised was on the corner of Veletrzni and Milady Horakove - it was very good, almost British Chinese..nobody wants authentic :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

Thats an expensive beer

What would have happened if you had told them to take the Foxtrot Oscar flight?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

I believe you have had a traumatic experience.

There is a Chinese restaurant close to my apartment and the duck there is quite good, but I have to order in advance. Please provide details as to where your bad duck experience occurred and maybe someone can assist.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

I could not remember the name of it but I felt sure I could find it again on Google earth however it appears to have ducked out somewhere ah well, it was the only bad experience I had the whole time in Czech Republic and I did actually eat it as I had been on the beer all day and I was starving, well I guess its just another one to put down to experience.

1/ Don’t light up a cigarette when you get off busses 2/ Don’t eat Chinese in Prague 3/ Tell at least 3 reception staff at the hotel that you are going on a trip early in the morning (Cesky Krumlov) so they don’t forget to make up a breakfast to go.

I guess I will be adding another one after my March trip.

And yes JustRuss it was rather traumatic but I guess with a bit of counselling I can get over it by March he he, I guess the duck was not to happy about it either.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

Next time, if you want something that approaches authentic Asian cuisine, then go Vietnamese. It is very cheap as well and they usually serve beer with it that is very cheap as well (in Brno 18 Crowns at the average Vietnamese eatery). You still run the risk of it being made from an unidentified meat, but by golly it is good.

For the Czech equivalent of 'Crispy Duck' get a Koleno (pork knee) - as authentic as you can get.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

Thanks Gkec both sound like a good idea and as i have never been, Brno would be another one to tick off my list when i return in March.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

Good choice - I think you might enjoy it guardian.co.uk/travel/…

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,379 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese crispy duck!!!

not sure why anyone would even do Chinese (Mexican, Italian etc) food here..

next time stick to Czech prepared duck with cabbage and dumplings