We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

Was wondering if anyone knew of a service (tour or other--such as bus, train or private driver) that might be able to take me from Prague to Plzen or Karlovy Vary on a Sunday.....are the breweries in Plzen (Pilsner Urquell) open to the public on a Sunday?....any idea of the cost and approximate travel time each way (i.e. suitable for a one day trip without overnight???)...I also take it the weather should not be an issue in Mid-late May.

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

you can visit the brewery very easily by train.I have made the trip there 5 times as recently as May 2010.

I can give you full details if you wish just say so.

Last year I was with my good mate,my nephew and his friend.

We took the train from Hlavni to Plzen and return,did a tour of the brewery,had a meal and a beer in the resturant there ,had a beer in another pub in the town and even bought a can of beer for the return train journey.This cost a total of 550Czk each.

train takes around 90 minutes each way ,the tour about an hour.

The first English speaking tour of the day is at 12.45,so if you left Prague about 10.00am you will easily make the tour.It takes less than 10 minutes to walk from the train station to the brewery ,you can see the brewery on the right hand side as yopu come in Plzen station.

prazdrojvisit.cz/en/…

Edited: 21 March 2011, 07:57
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,374 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

noticed you are travelling mid may.

I will be there from the 13th -20th may for the Czech Beer Festival.

ceskypivnifestival.cz/en/about-festival.shtml

try and make so time to visit that, it is very good.This will be my third year in a row at the festival.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 07:59
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

Look at Student Agency bus service as a possible alternative. Good price, nice buses, headphones, complintary coffee/tea.

a side note, photography cost extra at the brewery

both towns are manageable to get to, ...no real reason to hire a private driver IMO.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 11:05
bahrain
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

We are group of 10 travelling from Karlovy Vary to Plzen. What is the best way to do this and what is the distination please?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

The best and quickest way is by bus - it takes c. 1,5 hours and they go quite regularly.

For times see www.idos.cz

Not sure what you mean by 'what is the destination' - the bus final destination is Plzeň

Edited: 19 May 2011, 11:20
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

train will be 3hours

bus is 1.5 hrs

...you can check here for bus/train schedule

http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz

bus is quicker but train is more comfortable for a group.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

check here for bus/train times

http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz

(English button bottom right)

bus is 1.5 hrs

train is 3.0

train has more room and is more comfortable for a group

Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

One day is for Plzen enough.

What is in Plzen: Brewery and beer museum, small but nice city center with the highest cathedral in Czech rep. and the fourth biggest synagogue in the world.

The way to/from Prague by train and by bus isnt so much different both takes +- one and half hour. The train goes to citycenter the bus goes from/to metro station Zlicin, where you have anyway go 30 minutes from center. But trains are often late so i would prefer the student agency bus, which you cann book online from the Prague-Zlicin bus terminal to Plzen CAN (central autobus station) http://jizdenky.studentagency.cz/

In Plzen will be the most important for you the tram number 2 it connects: stop CAN, Skvrnanska (Bus terminal)

stop V sadech petatricatniku (synagogue and by the river paton memorial)

stop Namesti republiky (townhall and cathedrall where you should climb up the tower and the brewery museum)

stop Hlavni nadrazi ceskych drah, Sirkova (The brewery with the exhibition)

Its not long way and you cann as well walk following the number two tram line. The ticket cost 12 korun for one enter to the tram (bus or trolleybus) and you cann buy it in every newspapers stand.

Enjoy Plzen :)

9. Re: Buses or Private Driver to Plzen or Karlovy Vary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 05:18