We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bauer Villa

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bauer Villa

This year's Prague visit will be in mid-August. We want to visit the Josef Gocar Museum in the Bauer Villa, but I am having serious problems sorting out the trip. After last year's adventures where the GPS repeatedly circled us back to a bridge that was not there, my wife wants nothing to do with a rental car.

The address is listed as:

Libodřice č.p. 111

280 02 Libodřice

and it is elsewhere described as being either in the Kolin district or as near Kolin.

Kolin appears to be a simple 45 minute train ride from Prague, if I am reading the web site correctly. From there, Google Maps tells me that it is about 12km from Kolin to Libodice, but I am utterly clueless as to how to get from point A to point B. I can see that Kolin has a public transit system, but I cannot see how that knowledge helps me. Heck, I am not even convinced that Google Maps thinks there is a museum at the end of its suggested route.

Can anyone help us work out a sure way of getting to the museum from Prague?

Praha
Level Contributor
634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

You can get to Libodrice from Kolin by bus. Find your connection here jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/…

Find the whole connection from Prague to Libodrice: Click on "Add interchange places" and insert Kolin there. You can click on Map and see the whole route (well, actually you can see directly interconnected stops). The bus station in Kolin is next to the railway station.

You shouldn't have any problems with getting to Libodrice. If you are afraid of getting lost, write Libodřice on a piece of paper, so you can show it when asking for help. It'll be also useful when you'll buy the bus tickets from the driver, beacause the word is hard to pronounce correctly.

If you're not able to find your bus or train at the station, look for a sign with final destination of your bus or train and in case of trains for the train number.

As you probably know, you've to reserve your visit in advance - official site of the muzeum: www.nck.cz/bauerova-vila/en/contact.php

Czech map server, which is sometimes very useful (restaurants etc.): http://www.mapy.cz/

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

"Add interchange places" solved all my problems. Thank you!

Asking for the same trip without the interchange produced no help at all.

One more question: Once we reach Libodrice, how far is it to the muzeum? It looks to be a small town from Google Maps, but then again, Bauer Villa seems not to exist on Google Maps!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

google maps are often, IMO, misleading

http://www.nck.cz/bauerova-vila/en/index.php

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

http://iekaesii.notlong.com - Bauer villa is listed as Gocarova villa - 200 metres from the bus stop, the only bus stop in Libodrice. the town council.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

You guys are good. Thanks! Population 287.

Edited: 24 April 2011, 12:39
Marianske Lazne...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

If you are in that area you should not miss the Chateau Kotěra ,which is a hotel today - a very interesting piece of architecture . http://www.hotelkotera.cz/

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

Gorgeous! How close is it?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

It is in the elegantly named Ratbor, and is accessible by bus from Kolin. A short 'castle tour' and a restaurant in addition to the hotel. We get to see the works of Gocar and Kotera in the same easy day trip. Nice!

Marianske Lazne...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

And don´t forget to have a snack (or dinner) at the restaurant - the whole hotel and restaurant is renovated and have a unique atmosphere - and when we last visited the cuisine was wonderful:)

Marianske Lazne...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Bauer Villa

I don´t know how long will you be staying - but in Pelhřimov -a small town not too far away from Prague direction Brno) there are cubist houses by Pavel Janák (one is directly on the central square, a very nice small town and could serve as a textbook for architecture - you can find romanesque, renaissance, baroque and art noveau houses there). It is not a destination known by many tourist but I think worth a visit if you are interested in architecture:)