We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Dresden Daytrip - Feasible?

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Prague to Dresden Daytrip - Feasible?

I would like to take a daytrip from Prague to Dresden and need your advice.

What is the best mode of transport - train or bus and how long is the journey?

What did you find most interesting in Dresden?

For a daytrip I don't think I will have time for more than one museum - which one did you like best?

I would like to do a walk of the city center and view monuments the river, etc.I guess the Tourist Infomation bureau would have a walking tour I could purchase for a couple of euros?

Thank you.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Dresden Daytrip - Feasible?

yes, very feasible....train would be the best choice....2hr15min travel time..bus is about the same amount of time but in the train you have more room and the route is along the river (chose a window seat on the right side in the train's direction)

..train station is a few metres from the corridor that leads to the historic part..shopping along the way

in the box above, you can search Dresden and lots of additional info,opinons

check times here

http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz

(English tab on bottome right) departure is routinely every two hours

Edited: 13 May 2011, 21:33
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Dresden Daytrip - Feasible?

If you get the early train no. 178 there and the no. 179 back it only costs €22 return, otherwise €19 each way. Book here at least 3 days in advance https:/… and print the ticket off at home.

'What did you find most interesting in Dresden?' - find out when you get there :) Personally I find that the walk from the station to the centre along Pragerstrasse is very interesting as it shows the juxtaposition between the post-war East German architecture which certainly is impressive in its own way, and the historical part - the fact that almost everything in the centre was rebuilt from piles of rubble by the East Germans using the original stones like a giant jigsaw, except for the Frauenkirche which was done afterwards, is breathtaking.

However some of the GDR buildings on Pragerstrasse have been demolished since 1989 - it used to look like this flickr.com/photos/… but it is a bit more glitzy nowadays and many people are uneasy that all the past is being wiped away. UNESCO have stripped it of its world heritage status as well as they have built a road bridge across the Elbe which doesn't sit well with the historical city.

I don't think I have been to any museums in Dresden - there is plenty to see from the outside, and places like the Frauenkirche are free to go inside. However a tour of the Zwinger might be interesting if available.

Check it out for yourselves, though, and enjoy the journey! As mentioned above, you should sit on the right side of the train in the direction of travel as the views around Ústí nad Labem and along the Elbe valley are very nice.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 01:04
3. Re: Prague to Dresden Daytrip - Feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:51