We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

NJF
Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

From USA,FL - What is the best country and airport to fly in and out of in order to see Prague, Bruges and St Petersburg ,Russia? And also, what would be the best way to get to see these 3 cities? The train seems way to long and waiting around in airports for 3 days of vacation to get from place to place seems crazy!, Prague to Bruges is a doable drive at 450ish miles, but St Pete is about 1100 miles to Prague- too long!

It's our 40th anniv and we are planning this trip for 10/12 and have about 12 days,total ,to be away.

Any help would be sooooo appreciated!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,896 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

Prague to Bruges is about 1000 km (about 650 miles) and is not a walk in the park - I've done it plenty of times, but only when really necessary - you need a couple of days rest to recover. It is not like driving in the US - you have to drive all the way through Germany which for a first-timer is a bit of an eye-opener (very fast and very aggressive) - and then you will have to bring the car back to the Czech Republic or you will have to pay a massive drop-off fee (hundreds of euros), if they allow it at all.

You will not find a rental agency that will allow you to bring a car into Russia, and in any case you wouldn't want to drive there.

Do you really need to go to such distant places? The only feasible way is to fly.

NJF
Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! I just posted the question about 4 hours ago!

You are so right...we don't need that stress. What about the trains? Prague to Brussels,Brussels to Bruge. Based on your advise we will fly to St Petersburg.

Which country and which international airport would you suggest we fly into, Belguim or the Czech Republic?

Again, thank you for your help.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,896 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

Train - Prague to Brussels is overnight and indirect - better to fly (and probably cheaper as well), or there is an overnight bus as well, which is uncomfortable. From Brussels to Bruges it is a short local ride away.

I am not a flight expert, so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong information, however, I'm not sure that you can get 'open-ended' flights in or out of Russia.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

Russian visa is a bit complicated as well as costly to get - you must consider that before you plan to visit St. Petersburg.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,012 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

You should look at a multi city airline ticket which might work out better than hubbing to one particular city and spending days driving around

NJF
Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

Thank you for the info- should it be a multi ticket from the USA straight thru to all 3 cities or a multi ticket once we have arrived on the continent-inside Europe and Russia?

Also, can you recommend and trustworth, professional 2 day tours of St Petersburg that wont cost more then my house does!?-

7. Re: Best airpot from USA for St Petersburg,RU,Prague and Bruges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 05:28