We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague Trip Report - Six Memorable Days

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

I spent 6 days in Prage at the end of May - it was my first visit to Prague and I was a woman travelling solo. My daughter who lives in London and whom I was visiting, joined me for 2.5 days in Prague and then I stayed on for the rest of the week.

I found Prague beautiful and the people friendly and helpful.

We stayed at the Lida Guest House where the host and hostess are very warm and hospitable and helpful with travel directions, tickets, and any other questions one might have.

Day One

I had planned our itinerary and we started with the 3-hour Sandemans' City Tour which was excellent. Amy, our guide was so upbeat and pleasant and took us to the main attractions and areas in Prague, putting everything in context for us. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and got a very good "crash course" in Prague history delivered in a light and humorous vein. I had read up on a lot of Prague history so would often go off to the side to take a couple of pictures of the attraction being shown.

Then we explored the city and stopped by a cafe by the river for a drink and snack. The waiter was very pleasant. We had a perfect view of Prague Castle, Muccha Museum and other buildings making a very pretty cohesive whole across the river – a lovely backdrop for “our Prague” picture. We checked out Charles Bridge which was too heavily populated so we decided to do it early the next morning on our way to the Castle.

Day Two

On day two, we visited the Castle area, buying the combo ticket for the Lobkowicz Castle and Short Tour of Prague Castle attractions. It was a lovely experience. The highlights were Lobkowicz Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral.

Then we spent some time in the city center, and relaxed in Old Town with a snack at an outdoor cafe and did some people-watching. We watched the Astronomical Clock strike the hour at 6:00pm, two doors open and the twelve apostles’ parade out of one door and in the other door - not impressive. We walked for a bit, exploring the area around the Old Square, which has beautiful architecture, before going to have an absolutely delicious Mediterranean-style dinner at the White Crow restaurant which is located 5 minutes from the Metro Jiriho z Podebrad.

Day Three

On day three, I went souvenir shopping with my daughter who was returning to London, and found a couple of beautiful Bohemia crystal pieces along with the certificate of authenticity. Then I went on to do a walking tour on my own of Vysehrad which was not far from my guest-house. I enjoyed walking through the National Cemetery with its decorative grave stones, its gardens with huge statues and benches on which to relax. I saw the fortifications and ruins and there were vantage points from which I had a panoramic view of the Vltava river with its boats and bridges and also of New Town.

Day Four

On day four I took the tram 22 to the garden where they have a Monument to the Victims of Communism, then on to the Church of Our Lady Victorious to pay homage to the miraculous Infant Jesus of Prague and the church and altar of the Infant Jesus was so decorative and beautiful. Then I visited the Baroque Church of St. Nicholas which is very lovely with interesting features. Next it was on to Loreto Square and Santa Casa and the other chapels and treasury whose prize possession is a Prague Sun Monstrance with golden rays covered with 6,000 diamonds from a countess’ gown. My last stop for the day was the Strahov Monastery. It has an over-the -top baroque church and two huge beautifully decorated rooms filled with books. These places were all on tram line 22 and within walking distance of one another.

Day Five

On day five, I took a daytrip to Kutna Hora to visit the Bone Church which has some 40,000 human bones. It is decorated with candelabra, chalices, decorative garlands, coats of arms, one coat of arms depicting a raven picking the eye from an invading soldier, all made from human bones. The chandelier hanging in the centre is made using every bone in the human body. It was all very artistically done and the audio-guide explained it all in a sensitive and informative manner.

I took the local bus across town to visit the Gothic St. Barbara’s Cathedral which was gorgeous. Both the main altar and the side altars are striking, mainly black and gold for pillars and cherubs, with bright colors for garments of the personages There were many items of antiquity and beauty in this cathedral that were a delight to behold.

Day Six

On day six, I took a metro to St. Wenceslas Square and saw the lovely Estates Theater and the Municipal House which is an extravagant and beautiful example of art nouveau and the adjoining ancient Gothic Powder Tower. I had seen some of these historical buildings in passing before on my 3-hour walking tour on day one with the tour guide but wanted another good look at them and some good photos. I saw the Cubist building with the statue of the Black Madonna - a totally different type of architecture.

Then I took the metro to see the well-known baroque-style Wallenstein Garden behind the Wallenstein Pallace - and what a garden it is with many exceptional features such exotic birds, walls with artificial stalactites, a huge pond with large colorful fish and a bronze statue, etc.

Then it was time to leave beautiful Prague for London and I must say that I truly enjoyed my time in Prague. I found everyone I talked to, both locals and tourists, in the towns, trains, stores, and city when asking for directions to be friendly and helpful. This was my experience and I wanted to share it with you.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 20:32
Oldsmar, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

Great report! I also loved Prague and found the people very friendly. Loved all of the food, especially roast duck with dumplings and roast rabbit.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

Thank you for your report - Lida's guest house has been mentioned quite a few times, not exactly central but in a very good neighbourhood.

Glad you 'discovered' Vysehrad - the place I like the best in the whole of Prague!

St Barbara church in Kutna Hora is one of the oldest Gothic churches in the central Europe, a Unesco site - the main reason for visiting Kutna Hora in my opinion, the Ossuary I don't find that interesting.

There are some places you've missed out, but perhaps you'll be back one day!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

I am glad you had a nice time in Prague. Thanks for sharing...:)

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

I thank all of your for your responses. I appreciate it.

Tilly, could you please tell me some of the places I have missed out as I visit my daughter in London once a year and always tie that in with a trip to a different part of Europe each year.

I might be able to get a cheap ticket from Gatwick to Prague and hop over again for a short visit. I am very methodical and like to make lists - so would like to note down these places to be visited on my next trip to Prague, though I don't know when that will be:)

Edited: 14 June 2011, 14:25
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

Let's see....

Troja chateau (and perhaps the Zoo)

newly open Zlata Ulicka (Golden Street) at the Castle

A stroll in Jeleni prikop (Stag Moat)

Stromovka

If you liked the National Cemetery at Vysehrad -you would like a beautiful Jewish cemetery at Olsany

The outside Prague within short distance castles like Karlstejn or Krivoklat (my favourite)

Cesky Krumlov - a good place to stay overnight

Plus the whole of Moravia:)

plenty of other suggestions I am sure

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

Thank you for your prompt reply and good suggestions, Tilly. I will make note of them.

I thought 6 days would be plenty to see Prague and do some daytrips, but aside from the daytrip to Kutna Hora there was so much to see in Prague and even so, I miseed some of the places to visit in Prague, as well:)

7. Re: Prague Trip Report – Six Memorable Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Prague