We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money from US bank

Davis, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Money from US bank

Have followed threads on exchanging money in Prague... will definitely use ATM (normally do during Int'l travel). However, is there any disadvantage to purchasing currency from US bank prior to leaving on trip to Prague?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,032 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money from US bank

Poor exchange rates?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,645 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money from US bank

Find out from your bank what the net rate is and then compare it to one of the better exchanges in Prague, should have your answer.

Tilly

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money from US bank

If you call your bank a few days in advance to make sure your ATM is going to work in CR, you should be OK.

That being said, I've arrived in airports on a few different continents and been unable to get cash and had almost nothing to exchange. It's really bad.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money from US bank

Throughout all of my travels, I have always experienced a "glitch" with either my credit card or debit card. And, yes, I call beforehand and notify of dates and destinations. Using the "collect call" number entails high phone charge so I usually borrow money from traveling companion(s). This time I am traveling solo and will take several credit cards and 2 debit cards. However, I am concerned about running into a problem in Prague.

Rebecca, how do I find out what is one of the "better exchanges" in Prague? Is there a website?

Thanks for all of your speedy responses! Don't know what I would do without TA forums!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,645 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money from US bank

There is indeed! In the centre

http://www.exchange.cz/

Today you would have received 16.50 czech crowns to 1USD

(no charges)

HOw does that compare?

Tilly

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money from US bank

Hi

I'm not sure why it happens but my UK debit card doesn't work in every ATM in Europe. It will work in one but not another, so before you make any expensive calls just try another Cash machine before you panic.

I think there are three machines near the exit at Prague airport and my card works in two of them.

Jackie

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money from US bank

Hi neighbor,

Do you have an ATM card from one of the major networks like PLUS? We have never had a problem.

One thing we like to do is to get about a days worth of cash for every country we are entering. That way we don't have to worry about exchanging cash/going to ATM until we are settled in and have time to look for a good exchange rate. It helps with taxis, tips, food, that unexpected visa fee at the Istanbul airport or other emergencies etc. We usually bring $100-$200 of each currency and get the rest there, usually from an ATM. I think I read somewhere that Capital One has a card that doesn't charge international conversion fees. You may want to check into that, don't have one myself yet, maybe on the next trip.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,645 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money from US bank

I've not had a problem with my debit card in Prague either, but I tend to stick to my favourite banks like Ceska Sporitelna, I find them very easy to use.

Tilly

Davis, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money from US bank

My Chase debit card failed to work in Costa Rica and for several years my Mastercard was often flagged for possible fraud and purchased denied. I threatened to close my credit card if they continued to flag my card despite my notification.... credit card worked in Costa Rica and Peru. I am now armed with additional Schwab debit card (no fee) and BofA Visa credit card..... all for just traveling!

Tilly: Chase rate was about $.066/kc and decided to order $300 as a precaution .

Thank you all for your suggestions and have noted to make sure I go to reputable ATM's for further cash.... Prague, here I come!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money from US bank

We have a BofA ATM card and we've never had a problem

Good luck, have fun. It is a beautiful city.