We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Prague for one day

Utrecht, The...
2 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Prague for one day

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting the Pilsen / Plzen region soon, and of course this little vacation cannot go without a one-day trip to beautiful Prague!! Or maybe two one-day trips, we'll see. ;-)

My question: considering that we will be staying near Rokycany (which is just east of Pilsen); what would be the best way to travel to Prague? We could take the three cars (there's 10 people) and drop them off at a P+R facility, but I have already seen at the DPP website ( http://www.dpp.cz/en/parking/ ) that the Zlicin P+R is often full. The next best P+R location I could come up with is Chodov, but driving there might turn out to be a pain in the behind since we will be entering Prague from the west (the D5). Does anyone have any better ideas? Driving and parking in the city center would be no problem (unless if it would cost hundreds and hundreds of CZK per day or something) if that would be the smart option.

Traveling by train from Rokycany is of course also a possibility. However, I don't really like the fact that the penultimate train already leaves at 21:10, and the last one at 23:40. This is not very flexible, and with our group of people, flexibility is a huge plus. ;-)

Oh, and about the P+R tickets: I tried to understand how it works, but that didn't really turn out great. ;-) Do you have to pay the 20 CZK before you enter the subway, or after you get back?

Thanks in advance!!

Joost.

(And no, I don't wanna know about any great pubs; I'm the designated driver! ;-))

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Prague for one day

Parking in the centre, if you can find any, will indeed cost you hundreds and hundreds of Crowns. Parking in Chodov and getting the metro in will take you almost the same amount of time as Rokycany to Prague :)

There is a train at 0410 ... pubs, etc., will still be open at that time and it is the best time to walk around the city anyway!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Prague for one day

Come to Zlicin and park in the Metropole shopping center across from the metro, everyone else does...

Utrecht, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Prague for one day

I've already seen Prague by night a couple of years ago, and indeed it was brilliant!! However, I don't think most of the group would like the idea now. :-) Anyway, we could always split up, so that 4:10 train is actually a nice option to consider...

For the car alternative, parking at Metropole turns out to be a great idea. Before, I figured that parking at a shopping mall would probably be a bad idea because it might close too early for us (like 20:00 perhaps), meaning that we would have to be gone by that time. But surprisingly, according to the website this mall does not close until midnight!! (I can't imagine a shopping mall closing that late, but hey, I'm from the Netherlands where there is an actual law on opening times for stores...)

Apparently the stores themselves close already at 22:00 but the mall stays open until midnight. A bit weird, but at least this means that we won't find our cars locked in a closed parking lot before midnight. :-)

So, it's either the train from Rokycany or parking at Zlicin / Metropole. I guess we'll decide once we're there, but I now have two great options to choose from. Thanks! :-)

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Prague for one day

there is a cinema and bowling alley there..

Edited: 12 August 2011, 06:46
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
510 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Prague for one day

Just FYI, there are also hypermarkets that do not close at all. Seems weird to me although I am Czech. Who goes shopping at 3AM?

6. Re: Parking in Prague for one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 12:17