We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Which do you prefer to use to get around Prague? Are metros generally faster but trams more 'scenic'? Do you use the metro to gt way across town but trams for more local stop hopping? I am not a 'bus rider' and I guess I find them more intimidating to use <embarrassed>.

Now making it more specific to the tourist: if I can easily take either, which should I generally choose? For example, if I stay in Andel and want to go to Charles bridge? Both look good on the wonderful (!) transpo map I now have. What aobut to otehr sites? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Unless you stay outside of the center, chances are you won't really need either, except for the No. 22 tram from Mala Strana Namnesty to the castle. Prague is really fun to walk.

That being said, I much prefer the trams because you can see the city. Also, there is the issue of getting off of the metro and finding the correct exit for your destination.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Metro lines are underground, so no views, not even at the end of the lines, so for the 'scenery' trams are the only choice. But the transport is plentiful whatever you chose and the cost is exactly the same.

From Andel to Charles Bridge, I would take the tram.....metro would be more awkward and a longer walk from the station.

I would always take the route with the least transfers.

You'll figure it out when you get to Prague, dead easy.:)

Tilly

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

ticket price includes the use of both. you should utilize both-you are limiting yourself if you only chose one mode of transportation.....the tram gets you to some areas-streets the metro doesn't reach.

yes, as you mention trams are more scenic.

as far as time, either is acceptable but it depends on what day and time...they run more often during the week and even more so during peak hours.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Sounds good! And pretty much what I was thinking. I am not worried at all about getting around, more just curious as to what frequent visitors and locals prefer to use.

<man, I really need to slow down and proof my typing more!>

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

I will almost always take a tram, if it's an option. Unless you're going to the suburbs, it's often faster.

It takes several minutes to get to many of the platforms at metro stations in the center (long escalators). Several minutes to get back up.

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Trams are better for many reasons, but its worth taking at least one ride on the metro to see the Soviet influenced style of many of the stations. Since the Velvet revolution in 1989, the Russian built rolling stock has been replaced and some stations renamed. Andel station, for example, was called Moskevská (Moscow Station) until 1990 and is still a place you can see Communist-era propaganda art.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Metro

and Dejvicka was called Leninova

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,442 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

I use a mixture of trams and metros ,just depends where I am going .If you like a scenic tram trip you could try the Nostagic Tram,really is great fun.

www.dpp.cz/en/nostalgic-tram-line-no-91/

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
436 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

Are both ends of the yellow line not above ground? though debatable if anything to see other than panelaks...

Also the Red line is above ground between IPak and Vysehrad, it's part of Nusle bridge. Again though not really a trip for site-seeing ;-)

I'd recommend a ride on Tram 22 up to Poherlec(sp) as a must do for any trip to prague.. for the walk down at least..

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,442 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trams vs. Metros - Which Do You Like?

I always reccommend going to Poherlec,mainly because thats the stops for the Strahov Monestry and the wonderful Klasterini Pivovar,then I nice stroll down to the castle area.