We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti-Semitism in Prague?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Anti-Semitism in Prague?

While waiting outside the Sparta football grounds for the gates to open, I was disconcerted to see the spray-painted words "Anti Jude" along with a reference to something called "SKS."

Can someone tell me who or what is SKS? Google does not seem to be my friend on this one.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

Probably 'skins' (skinheads), but it is not a view that is generally held by 99.9% of the population.

Prague
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

Anti-Jude-SKS: it refers to football (soccer) club SKS Slavia Praha. It´s based on history of most famous czech football clubs AC Sparta Praha and Slavia Praha. In 20s and 30s of 20th century, Sparta was blue collar club and Slavia was supported by businessmen and also by members jewish comminity. Sparta fans use words "Jude Slavia" etc. to provoke Slavia fans until today.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

If you are ever in the Netherlands, you'll find something similar as regards Ajax Amsterdam......they are viewed as a jewish club

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

... and Tottenham Hotspur in London ...

You learn something new every day!

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

What gets me is that:

-Sparta is tolerating this

-This connects something (mostly) great: soccer , with something completely awful ( state-sponsored genocide) and keeps the connection going

-Its happening in the middle of Europe; and

-anti-semitism is treated as so much a part of the culture that "Anti-Jude" becomes, literally, part of the scenery

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

In most cases it is relatively harmless ignorance. A number of major football clubs have a Jewish heritage. Today, most Ajax and Tottenham fans are not Jewish but wear this as a badge of honour in support of their team. The Tottenham fans I know proudly call themselves "yids". The biggest rivals ( Feyenoord & Arsenal respectively ) when trying to give abuse will often fall back on Jewish insults. So we have one set of fans ignorantly giving the other set Jewish insults who in turn take pride in receiving the insults !

In the North London context it is mostly in good fun, and the violence between Feyenoord and Ajax is more due to the Rotterdam/Amsterdam rivalry than religion.

I can't be certain but I suspect the Sparta v Slavia rivalry is similiar.

However, it all pales into insignificant compared to the Glasgow rivalry between Catholic Celtic vs Protestant Rangers. This is certainly based on religious bigotry.

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

Yes, and both those groups have been persecuted, too!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

actually the Czech dislike pretty much everybody

9. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 August 2011, 10:35
Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anti-Semitism in Prague?

Wow, I did not know that. But I have read about some specific numerology that stupid sprayers spray on walls, they think they are smarter than others...

Ignore it. I have not experienced any antisemitism, and we have a big Jewish community center downtown and quite a lot orthodox people, very obvious in their look. I have many Jewish friends and have not heard of antisemitism.