We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Time Do Shops Close?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What Time Do Shops Close?

I am really trying to get a handle on this upcoming visit to Prague so will be peppering you all with questions :>) I do search first but sometimes just can't find an answer.

What time do shops close down, generallt speaking?

Groceries?

Tourist type shops?

Shops in/on the Charles Bridge area?

I believe from what I've read (searched) that we won't have too much trouble getting dinner just after 9pm...? I have a segway tour booked for Saturday that will end about 9pm and we'll need some food and relaxation after that.

We breeze into town about noon on Saturday. We plan on getting some light lunch and then taking in a few tourist attractions before the segway tour. We plan on hitting all the ususal suspects for attractions. Are any better to go to in the early afternoon due to views, crowds, etc? Ok, not exactly a shop question but I thought I'd sneak it in here :>)

Thanks, as always!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Time Do Shops Close?

General supermarkets like Tesco will open every day until 8 - 9 p.m. The one on the website below is in the centre, would be handy if you are staying in the Old Town Square vicinity...but of course there are other supermarkets ,eg. in the Kotva department store at Namesti Republiky

www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp…

Tourists/souvenier/tat shops in the centre are open every day til late, some until the tourists retire to their hotels:)

You won't have any trouble getting your dinner after 9 p.m. but again don't leave it too late, many restaurants close at 11 pm

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Time Do Shops Close?

what's your other question? = where are you meeting the tour, what's the itinery.....to suggest what else to see in the time you have.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Time Do Shops Close?

The segway tour is this one: pragueonsegway.com/segway-tours/grande-tour-… We get an additonal 30 minutes too (so it's really the Grande Tour 'plus') - they are talking of using the extra time with us in the Petrin Hill area but we may just use it up as we go by spending a few extra minutes at some of the other stops along the way (so we don't have to go back). We meet the tour guide by the US Embassy (Vlasska 2, Lesser Town, Prague 1). Tour starts at 5:30pm.

The segway tour will not include going inside any place - we'll have to do that on our own. So I was thinking we could use the time after arrival and lunch to go visit an attraction we'd want to go into. I am asking what would be the 'best' place or places to visit during this window of time (approx. 4 hours).

Your suggestions are eagerly anticipated :>)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,409 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Time Do Shops Close?

That segway site is a bit misleading - 'In 3 hours, we will show you all that historical Prague has to offer' - er - not quite, as it misses out on quite a chunk of the Old Town, including Charles Bridge, as a segway couldn't possibly get in there.

Stay clear of 'tourist style shops' - many of them are Russian mafia-run, and if you want souvenirs it is best to go into one of the aforementioned department stores.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,284 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Time Do Shops Close?

as mentioned shopping centres are open on Sunday til 9pm-like weekday hours.

if you're needing some incidentals, a few hypermarket stores are open later..for ex. Tesco in Andel/Novy Smichov @ midnight , Albert @ Chodov is 10pm

again as mentioned, don't wait too late to eat...some places/pub-restaurant type only serve cold menu items after a certain time but most places quite serving all together.

6. Re: What Time Do Shops Close?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:16