We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant bill policy

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,409 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant bill policy

Hello,

a Piece of local wisdom required:

1/ prices in the restaurant menu are quoted NETT ( including VAT and service charge)

or

2/ menu prices are ++ (VAT and service charge is calculated in the bottom of the bill anfd added to the menu price). If so - what`s the amount of VAT in Czech and what`s the range of the service charge???

3/ If service charge is not included in the bill - some 10% tipping is ok??? Or adding some coruna to the next digit with zero????

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant bill policy

menus prices must include VAT

service may be added on but this must be posted on the menu

service is 10 - 12 percent - anyone who tells you to round it up to the next zero is living in the past although it might be acceptable in the countryside

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,409 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant bill policy

praguepivo,,

Thanks for sharing. So... in my experience if the service charge (as stated on menu) is already added to the bill amount - AM I NOT Supposed to leave tips????

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant bill policy

Little observation - if VAT is in it, its gross, net is always the smaller amount.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,639 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant bill policy

Why would you leave a tip if service charge is added to the bill?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,409 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant bill policy

Rawlee,

<<if VAT is in it, its gross, net is always the smaller amount.>>

In my part of the world VAT is government tax ( 10%), service charge may very from place to place 5.5-11%, calculated together with price ++ we call the price NETT - all costs included.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,409 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant bill policy

Tilly41,

That`s what i actually asking about. Thanks for clarification. The WHOLE point is when your pay the bill ( together with all costs included) nothing goes to the personnel directly. So.... in some cases i feel obliged to leave some cash as extra TIP.

If you confirm that it is not needed in Czech- i am fine with it. Just asked a piece of local wisdom.

Sorry if my perspective ( from other part of the world) seems STRANGE to you.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,639 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant bill policy

I am puzzled, Schonefeld, are you doing a research or are you actually planning to visit Czech Republic?

The relationships between the employer and the employees is not my problem. It is up to them to sort out between themselves. The employees have a contract of employment, pay taxes, state insurances which provides for health care, possible unemployment benefit etc.

10 - 15% service charge covers tips, I would never leave other tips beside this charge. Some people argue that this 'service charge' is not even legal and would refuse to pay it, easier done if you speak Czech.

So, no, not required to leave any other monies on the table!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,409 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant bill policy

<<are you doing a research or are you actually planning to visit Czech Republic?>>

Indeed i do plan my visit, Tilly41, i just ask the unusual questions , as it seems. YET i spare you ( and other PRG contributors) from trivialities like *what hotel* and *my itinerary*. LOL

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant bill policy

There is no need or requirement to leave a tip at all if you are not happy with the service. Out in the boondocks and in cities that have not been spoiled by outside influences then the standard practice is to round it up, which usually works out at about 10% anyway (and this is the same in Austria, Germany, Italy and other similar uncivilised places :)) No need to tip on a single beer, but if it costs 23 Crowns, then most people just give 25 if they tip at all, but those 2 Crown coins are good for the train ticket machines ...

I don't agree with a 'compulsory' service charge - if I see somewhere that charges it, they don't get my business full stop.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant bill policy

Hi

Even with a service charge I tend to leave a cash tip if the service has been good. If the employee is unaware of exactly how much the employer has received in 'service charges' then there is no way of knowing how much is shared out.

I don't blame you for researching this particular problem and if you need anything else please post your questions.

I'm sure you will enjoy Prague.

Jackie