We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station concern

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Train station concern

Sorry to bother you all again but I have a question regarding the safety of the train station late at night. After reading the posts here, I convinced my husband to change our departure date so that we would no longer be taking the overnight train to Vienna. The problem, however, is that our hotel is now booked on that extra night we would need. Now I think we might be stuck taking the overnight train that does not leave until midnight. Will we be safe waiting at the train station until this late hour?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station concern

the trains station is perfectly safe,it has undergone MAJOR changes over recent years and is more akin to a shopping Mall than a train station,lots of shops ,cafes and small resturants.There are lockesrsyou can leave your bags in (60kc) so you can collect them shortly before you train leaves.So you could have an evening out and collect yopur bags about 11.00pm before your train.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station concern

Thank you unclegus. You have made me feel much better about the situation.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,959 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train station concern

you're welcome.

I was last in there this time last week so my info is right upto date,not sure if the locker area closes at night but i don't think so.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train station concern

indeed, it is just fine!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
171 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train station concern

We just returned from Prague and you want to make sure that you arrive at the main station (Hlvani) or you will be in for an experience that you do not care for. Stay away from astation Holesovice. We arrived there in the middle of the day and the so called mall area was pitch black and all the businesses were closed. It was mid week and there was no holiday being celebrated. There were 4 fellows that looked like ex-NFL players ready to rough someone up. We walked out of the station looking for a taxi stand and there was none. A few moments later, a gruff individual approached and said he could give us a ride to our location. There were no yellow cabs ..the triple A. We were just happy to get out of there. We stayed at the Hilton which was about 5 miles away. Our cost for this taxi was 800 Krs. which is about 60 US dollars. Again, we did not want to hangout with the ex- NFL ers. Be careful, these folks in Prague want to take GREAT advantage of tourist. You will feel like someone is hanging you upside down by your toes shaking every cent out of your pocket. P. S. Do NOT buy the Prague Wel ome Card and do NOT buy the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour. It will add to the shake down feeling. Stick with the church concerts and cheap beer. It is worth about a day and half of experiences and you will be ready to leave... NEXY

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,057 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train station concern

Holešovice used to be the main international station, but that has not been the case for a couple of years now, hence the closed businesses - however, some guidebooks still give the wrong information. It has always been a grotty dump and taxis are notorious from all stations, especially Holešovice. 800 Crowns is $45, but still too much. Public transport is cheap and efficient, and goes everywhere.

There have been regular warnings about the hop-on hop-off bus, mainly because it cannot go to any of the places that might be of interest as the vast majority of the tourist area is pedestrianised.

Regarding safety, even in the 'old days' the main station was safe, despite the dodgy-looking characters, but that was maybe because I looked a bit dodgy myself as those were my long hair and beard days :) The rest of the city is as safe as you can get - however Holešovice is possibly not the most salubrious of places to hang out.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train station concern

The train station, if we're referring to Hlvani Nadrazi, is perfectly safe day or night. If you enter from the new entrance on the park/tram stop side, you get the odd wino or two, but there are usually some lawmen around too.

If you enter from the old entrance on the main road, you can get more direct access, avoiding the park and it's alfresco imbibers.

Edited: 04 November 2011, 10:11
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train station concern

We need information on taking a train from Nuemberg to Prague. Nov. 26th Sat. morning we will be departing the Viking River Cruise . Where should we purchase tickets, on line, when we get to the train station? How to get to train station? We will be staying at the Prague Marriott, which train station is closest? Is it walking distance from the station to the hotel? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you we are two senior adults.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train station concern

To lovetotravel. You should start another thread, but a quick answer to website is:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train station concern

If they still run train service from Nuremberg to Prague you really don't want to ride it. Last time we did that we bumped and poked along for nearly 5 hours. Die Bahn runs a really plush Mercedez Benz double decker bus and only takes 3-1/2 hrs. We've taken that route 5 or 6 times and it's a snap, seems like it is €29 and drops off on the upper level at the Hlavní Nádraží. Then it's like maybe 3 or 4 blocks to the Marriott.

You didn't say how many were traveling but you could also contact http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/. The owner is a D.E. for Prague, Praguepivo. We used his services this past Sunday morning to the Hlavní Nádraží as the Mrs. was not up to any more walking. He told us he also serves Nuremberg for River Cruise people, as well as Passau and Český Krumlov too. Might be worth a try and he will drop you off right at the Marriott.

Just a thought. :-)