We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nové Město na Moravě

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nové Město na Moravě

Hello! My husband and I are traveling from Vienna to Prague 12/13-12/21. We were hoping to make a stop along the way (or do a day trip from one of the cities) to do some cross-country skiing. We read about Nove Mesto na Morave, and thought it could be a good stop as we travel from Vienna to Prague. Questions:

1. Is it a good stop?

2. Can we access the whole trip via bus or train?

3. Will there be snow to ski?

4. If not, any other suggestions of day trips from Prague or Vienna that would get us out either cross-country skiing or snow shoeing?

Thank you!

-Lauren

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

Nove mesto nad Metuji is worth seeing whether you ski or not. Whether it is a good place to stop between Vienna and Prague I am not so sure. You would probably have to get off in Brno and take a couple of local trains - a journey of up to 2 hours from Brno. There don't seem to be any direct connections.

You could call on skype the local information centre, open Monday to Friday out of season from 7.30 to 16.00 CET. Ask about accommodation (you would have to stay for at least a night) and ski hire and most importantly what the snow conditions are....best wait for that until early December.

http://infocentrum.nmnm.cz/

see the phone number under Kontakty

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno
Brno
South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Friday Hotel Prague
Friday Hotel Prague
784 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

The nearest ski area would be Liberec - possible to do as a day trip, circa one hour by bus from Prague.

But this does not cater to cross country. Their website states that there are 2 tracts the length of 8 kilometres, in the area of Vesec, not Jested which is the main ski areal....but also states that these tracks are not maintained. Not sure how important this is, I don't cross country ski:)

http://liberec.czech-mountains.eu/

http://www.ceskehory.cz/ski-areal/jested.html

expats.cz/prague/…

Bus from Prague - Student Agency.

http://www.studentagency.eu/

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

The OP is talking about Nové Město na Moravě - if you are travelling by train or bus it is not easy to get to if travelling between Prague and Vienna, but by car no real problem, you just need to take some country roads from Brno.

It has some of the best cross-country skiing in the Czech Republic, presuming that there is any snow, that is. I have been skiing there in April before and it has been a metre deep, and in January when there was nothing, so you would have to play it by ear. You don't say when you are going.

Tilly mentions another place - Nově Město nad Metují - I once lived there for a couple of years and although it is a one-horse town it is very beautiful and it is home to my favourite castle in the country. However it is way off your route - well worth the hefty trek from Prague.

(Nové Město means 'New Town', and there are a few of them dotted around)

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Brno
Brno
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

Sorry, yes .....but the info relates to Na Morave....Nad Metuji is very nice too, not sure about skiing:)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

There are direct buses to NM na Moravě from Brno - however to the uninitiated the journey can seem a bit hairy if there is plenty of snow around. The reason is that at the slightest sniff of snow the good people of Brno up sticks and make their way out there so the buses are packed with passengers and ski paraphernalia, which steams the bus up on the inside and the driver is oblivious to this and to the pack ice on the road with just a layer of gravel or flyash or whatever they use on top to give it a bit of purchase. We used to go to a friend's cottage which overlooked a big bend on the route of this bus and we never saw it fly off the road, and I can't recall any reports of it doing similar anywhere else either, so by some miracle it seems to be safe :)

If you do make it out there, be prepared for lithe young things whizzing past you (unless you are one of them yourself, of course) - they are born on cross-country skis in that part of the world, and for those that weren't it is quite demoralising, and so I prefer to sit in one of the ski hotels with a glass of grog or two and a good book and wait for the others to finish having their fun :)

Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

RE: cross country skiing near Liberec:

Actually, close to Jablonec, but the 2 main areas for cross-country are:

1.Severák --one of the entry place to cross-country skiing tracks of Jizerská magistrála.- bus from Prague

Cerny most (not studentagency.eu), or studentagency.eu + tram via Liberec...

2.Bedrichov - there are buses from Liberec.9 About 90 km of prepared cross-country skiing routes)

========================================

But as you mentioned Nove Mesto na Morave. - here is a website with contact numbers....

http://holiday.nmnm.cz/sport.php?lu=en&se=1

Good map of Vysocina area:

http://www.trailbehind.com/node/3910511/

I hope the link works; zoom slightly out, then move your mouse to your right...shows the area & distance from Brno... The cross country skiing is the area towards Ochoz forest...

Edited: 11 November 2011, 13:59
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno
Brno
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

Wow, if you google long enough, you'll get the info - unfortunately I am a bit short on staff these days:)

www.skijizerky.cz/ski-arealy/bedrichov/

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

Czech Republic in December - the snow is usually a big question, especially for the cross-country skiing.Maybe "classical" skiing possible, very easy from Prague to Liberec (mentioned above), but the other direction than to Austria. The forecast - the snow maybe in December (too late for the cross-country skiing here).Maybe better chance nearby Vienna.

You can look ak: www.niederoesterreich.at. If you want to write me before your arrival, I will send you the actual snow information from Czech Republic.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Austria
Austria
Europe
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

Thank you all! I really appreciate your responses! I will check out all of these great links and, Hana, I will email you shortly before our trip to ask about conditions. Thanks again!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nové Město na Moravě

I have some similar questions about cross country skiing in CZ, but in early March 2012. Any suggestions on 1-2 day trips out of Prague for an experienced beginner? Thanks for any ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic