We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby Jesus Shrine ?

Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baby Jesus Shrine ?

My co-worker mentioned a statue of Baby Jesus with gowns donated from all over the world for the infant. Leaving tomorrow morning 4A.M.! She had no more info but heard it was a must see. Anyone know information? Thank YOU !!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

We were just there 3 weeks ago. It is in the Church of Our Lady Victorius, absolutely breathtaking don't miss it! It's on the 22 Tram route Hellichova stop and then a couple blocks walk toward Malostranska about the bottom of Petrin Hill. If you haven't been in Prague before would need to know where you are staying for better directions or just ask at your hotel.

:-)

Edited: 18 November 2011, 01:58
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,912 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

http://www.pragjesu.info/en/ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_Jesus_of_Prague

The church itself is pretty nondescript but it is the only church in the area and when you are in the general vicinity there will be plenty pf people making their way to see it and the aforementioned Hellichova tram stop is right in front if you are coming from Malostranská. At this time of year, though, the crowds shouldn't be that great, so all the better.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
758 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

Hi! Once you are in the church of Our Lady Victorious, you'll spot that there is a sign for a Museum of the Infant Jesus with displays of his precious robes (entry free). There is also a souvenir shop in the church and a priest who can make a blessing for you.

If you would like to know the history of the Lobkowicz family who donated the statue to the church, you can visit the Lobkowicz Palace at the Prague Castle, it is a very popular sight in Prague.

www.lobkowicz.cz/Lobkowicz-Palace-9.htm

Enjoy your stay in Prague! M.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

For the faithful, I'm sure this is a great site of great importance.

Otherwise, it's a small ceramic doll enshrined in an otherwise unremarkable church.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,912 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

I think it is wax. There is another one in Brno which is the same age and is identical. I never quite understood it either.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

I've seen this phenomenon in museums of various European cities. The funniest is Zurich where Jesus, who was Semitic, is depicted as being very white, with chubby, rosy cheeks and blonde hair.

The Infant of Prague looks like a Central European girl.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

Hi GCEK...thanks for the link to the Infant of Jesus of Prague. Didn't seem to show of any Mass held there. Do you know?

Thanks!

8. Re: Baby Jesus Shrine ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:41