We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North, South...
Level Contributor
484 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

Is it possible to get to Saxony Switzerland National Park, in Germany from Prague via public transportation?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

I would contact the office www.ceskesvycarsko.cz .

There are some possibilities to go by the boat or the train, but they know better the region.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

Yes, you can, but I don't recommend it as a day trip by public transport.

It would take up to 3 hours each way to get to Hrensko.

Train from Prague to Decin,, then bus to Hrensko.

People usually want to see Pravcicka Brana......that's a short walk from Hrensko, but the hike will take a number of hours.

I went in the summer but had my own car, so it was relatively easy for a day trip,

http://www.pbrana.cz/en/location.php

for transport timetable - from Praha to Hrensko

jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/

English bottom right

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

I assume you want to visit Saxon Switzerland National Park (Nationalpark Sächsische Schweiz) in Germany and not Ceske Svycarsko (Czech or Bohemian Switzerland) as the previous 2 posters assume.

The easiest is to take a train to Dresden from Prague; then buses...

Check German Railways for info, as well as www.idos.cz for timetables.

Visitors Centre: BTW Nationalpark Böhmische Schweiz

(Narodní park České Švýcarsko) is bigger....

==================================

www.nationalpark-saechsische-schweiz.de/red1

Basically, you want to get to Bad Schandau

Just a short train ride from Decin: e.g. Děčín hl.n. 18:40 / Bad Schandau 19:08 20 kms, approx...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

Oh my bad:) - it is the same area of interest, part of it on the Czech side (the larger part) part on the German side.......I would stick with the Czech side, very interesting...perhaps you've not heard of it?

Edited: 03 January 2012, 15:31
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

The summary of the advices is easy.

Do you want to go there for one day trip? It´s not a good idea.

Do you want to go there from Prague and stay there? It´s possible and all advices mentioned above are right. There is a cooperation between Czech and German side, both parts are interesting. (To be local - I vote for the Czech part.) Also important - the time of your trip. It will be easier during the main season (July, August).

North, South...
Level Contributor
484 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

It will be early May after time in 3 large cities. We will be craving for nature and time to get into the countryside for some good quiet walks. Friends told us about the German side and showed photos of them walking high up on a bridge. It looks like a wonderful place to visit. Now I wonder with only two extra days and no car if it is even possible.

We could rent a car from Prague and rent it back there, but we only have two days.

Can anyone suggest another place to go for a nice walk in the countryside that may be closer to Prague. It could be a day trip via train.

Thanks for all your help

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

If you only have 2 days in Prague, not a lot of time to see anything, but why don't you take a walk at Divoka Sarka..at the edge of town, end of the tram line. should do you a treat?

http://www.prague.net/divoka-sarka

expats.cz/prague/…

North, South...
Level Contributor
484 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

we will have 4 days in Prague, and still have two extra days before we fly home

Thank you about Divoka Sarka I will also check into that .

We will be in Cesky Krumlov before Prague for two full days and three nights.

Hopefully we can find some nice countryside to walk there.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,828 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

In Český Krumlov, something from the archives:

The sightseeing tour of Krumlov, known as the 'love-letter' tour, commences by the Budějovická brána. You then walk through the town, through all the castle courtyards, stopping maybe at the bear enclosure, from where you continue along the castle gardens, through the Dubík wood, the Plešivec estate, across the bridge over the Vltava to the chapel on Křížová hora, from where there is a beautiful view over the town. The route is 10 km in length.

Walk to Kleť - begins in the First Castle Courtyard from where you follow the green route to the signpost with the blue marker under the Nový Dvůr game preserve. After having followed the blue route, the Princess Terezie route, you come to the red marker which leads you to the summit of Kleť which is 1070 m above sea level. As well as the viewing tower, there is also the highest astronomical observatory in the Czech Republic. The route is 15.5 km in length.

Třístoličník - Plechý - Plešné jezero – your journey will start first by train to Nové Údolí from where you follow the red route around the Rosenauer monument to the top of Třístoličník. From here you continue along the red route along the ridge over Trojmezná hora to Trojmezí and from there to Plechý. Then follow the yellow route down around the Stifter monument to the Plešné jezero. The route is 30 km in length.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saxony Switzerland National Park from Prague

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274688-i1988-k5…