We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with area choice

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with area choice

Hi,

I am thinking of renting an apartment on Jenštejnská Street

Prague 2 - Nove Mesto. Has anyone stayed in this area before or know of it? I'm going to Prague for the first time in February with mum and sisters and wondered how central it was to get to all the sights on foot? Many thanks in advance...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with area choice

I have stayed nearby in the past (couple of hundred yards away)

good area ,Old Town and Wenselas Square walkable but there are tranm and Metro stops nearby that will get you anywhere in the city quickly and cheaply.

loads of cafes bars and resturants in the area too.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,460 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with area choice

Yes, I think a tram would be in order from the embankment...don't think I would want to walk it every day.....but not far about a mile to Charles bridge.

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with area choice

thank you to you both - as this is our first trip I haven't really any idea as to which would be a good area to stay - we would like somewhere not too touristy so we get a good feel for the city but not so off the beaten track that its away from all the sight seeing.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,460 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with area choice

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274707-d6552…

if your budget allows look at these apartments, close to the Old Town Square, but a quiet street.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with area choice

I think the area that Tilly suggests would be ideal for you or anywhere within a couple of hunderd yards of that. you would still need to take transport up to the castle area unless you are happy walking a good distance uphill.

But where the Arcadia is is ideal.

The transport system in Prague is excellent,the best of any European city I have been in,it is cheap efficient and you never have to wait more than a few minutes for a tram or a metro.If you do decide on places away from the city center than just make sure it is close to a tram or metro route.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
6 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with area choice

I would suggest Prague 3, Žižkov area close either to Prague 1 or Prague 2 areas. It would be a great experience of hip local Bohemian pubs, restaurants and street shops. You would also admire the prices and kinda untouched commercialized atmosphere of the area compering to P1 and P2. There are several sightseeings as well as the worldwide biggest horse statue, military museum, TV tower, Olšansky cemetery, former mausoleum of the first communist president Klement Gottwald etc. Highly recommended to live truly Prague life at least for a few days ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with area choice

as much as I like Zizkov area it may not be ideal for a first time visitor as you would have to use public tansport, some good pubs / retsurants in the area though and the statue and museum on Zizkov hill are outstanding (BTW have they finished restoring the statue?).I have not been in the military museum (must rectify that) but last time i passed it they were filming what look to me like an adult movie, they were clothed but no way was the ladies costume any thing close to being authentic or covering much more that what was nessesary, fun to watch for a while though.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with area choice

I know the area around Jenštejnská quite well. It's not on a main road, which is a good location for an apartment or hotel.

My criteria when choosing or recommending areas to stay is - central, but not too central. You are right to want to stay somewhere that's not in amongst the tourist throngs. Anywhere around Stare-Mesto, Charles Bridge area or Wenceslas Sq, and especially Wenceslas Sq, would be off my radar for accommodation. As Unclegus says, Zizkov may not be ideal unless you like lots of walking, buses and trams to get in and out of the centre.

Jenštejnská isn't too far from the attractions, and there is the Karlovo Namesti Metro station very close. You wouldn't be on the metro for long to get to the sights. Or you could walk. There is an excellent Thai restaurant around the corner from this apartment, if you want me to recommend.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 18:25
UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with area choice

Thanks everyone - lots of food for thought! and speaking of food yes i would love to know which is the Thai restaurant whitespirit66 :-)

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with area choice

Hi Brownhair

It's called Lemon Leaf, 14 Myslikova. Not far from the accommodation. We have dined here many times, and are always impressed with the authenticity and quality of the food. Good value, especially the lunch time specials.

http://www.lemon.cz/en/