We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJF
Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

Hello fellow roammers!

Is there a tour company or a certified tour guide that can do the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague? I understand that you need a permit to go in. I contacted Wittman's and they do the outside or, if I understood, can charge $200+ p/p to do a tour.

Any info would be great :)

Thank you.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

If you want to go inside the museum, you should think about 500 CZK is the entrance fee. It makes a price higher.

There are the guides in Prague having the license to do these tours ( price for 3 hours of guiding can be about 1200 CZK ,it depends how many people are going), you can contact also Precious Legacy Tours or ask the museum, they have their guides and tours too.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 07:27
NJF
Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

Thank you. How many museums and Temples are there that we would have to pay to go in? As far as a group, there is just the 2 of us unless I try to put it out on TripAdvisor for another person or couple to join us

I will try to contact Precious tours and research the museums..

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
758 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

Hi! This site might be of your interest: http://www.jewishmuseum.cz/en/ainfo.htm

Basically to tour the Jewish Museum in Prague means that you will visit interiors of 4 synagogues built in different styles, the Old Jewish Cemetery and the Burial Hall. The entry ticket is 300CZK. If you would like to visit also the famous Old-New Synagogue, you need to pay either a separate entrance fee 200CZK/person or when you are buying tickets to the Jewish Museum, you have to indicate clearly that you would like to see ALL Jewish sites including the Old-New syn. In that case you will get a small discounted price for 480CZK/person in total for all places of interests within the Jewish Town.

Enjoy your stay in Prague!

Maya

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

I was perfectly happy just looking round by myself. It took a whole day, so unless you have a particularly great interest in the Jewish history of Prague (from your use of the word 'temple' I am guessing that you may be Reform/Conservative Jews) and feel that only a guided tour will give you the information that you need, I should guess that a self-guided tour will provide you with more information than you can take in in a day. If you can read Hebrew, Yiddish, and German I think you will get even more out of it.

I got the combined ticket. The extra cost just to see the Old-New synagogue seemed rather a lot, considering how much was covered by the fee for all the sites covered by the museum, but if you really want to see it then I suppose it is worth paying, and I am sure that the synagogue needs the money to cover the cost of its upkeep.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
52 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

Hello!Actually, you don´t need a guide inside of the Jewish Museum!With each document there is an explanation in Czech and in English!So, all you need are glasses!You can do the exteriors tour,to learn all the important stories and facts.Almost every tour company of Prague is doing this kind of the tour!IThe average price is 15-20 US per person.Enjoy your visit in Prague!

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

This is possibly no help to you at all, but when I was looking around the synagogues by myself there was a small group that seemed to be having a guided tour (of the inside of the synagogues as well as the outside) with a very enthusiastic young Israeli man, possibly an American who had taken Israeli citizenship or just relocated to Israel for graduate study -- Israel came into it somewhere. Other than that, I can't really help, unless this image of an earnest Israeli graduate student/early career academic giving enthusiastic and seemingly excellently well informed tours sparks off a more precise recollection for anybody. You may also find, from my one experience, that people are quite friendly and chatty, especially if they think you are Jewish. Because I was wearing a kippah (all men are supposed to wear one but most don't and the staff don't enforce the rule) an elderly New Yorker, who was certainly Jewish, assumed that I was Jewish as well. He was very disappointed when I told him that I couldn't read Hebrew and didn't have any kosher food to give him!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

I have no special advice on whether you should do it with or without a guide. I like to do most things without a guide, but that is just me. Maya, who posted above, is one popular guide.

But one cool thing to do after your tour, weird though it sounds, is to go the restrooms on the second floor of the Museum of Decorative Arts. The view out the window is the very best view to be had of the Old Jewish Cemetery. You can see it much better than you will from inside the Cemetery walls.

It is also a very nice Museum, BTW.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

We just returned from a fabulous vacation. The highlight was a tour from Krakow to Prague with KosherPrague's Yaakov Schwab. He chose 3 towns to stop in. We saw the most beautiful synagogues, visited kvarim of well known Rabbis, and much more. Yaakov was incredibly knowledgable, accomodating and personable. We would use him again.

We used Precious Legacy for a tour of Jewish quarter - it was a more on a more basic (Judaism) level.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,813 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

I am a little confused??

Can you enter all the synagogues withOUT a guide??

I ask because when visiting Venice the only way to see the interiors of some of the synagogues was if you were on a guided tour given by the Jewish Museum there.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour of the inside of the Jewish Quarter in Prague?

I was there earlier in July. You do not need a guide. Yes you can enter all the synagogues without a guide. It costs 480 CZK for a ticket for all synagogues and the cemetery. An extra 40 CZK gets you a photo permit for the cemetery as well, although nobody asked to see ours. Also when we were at the Old New Synagogue a lady there gave us lots of information about the synagogue without any type of tour.