We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

I will spend 8 days in the Czech Republic in August.

I have been to Prague many times and want to get out of there.

So after spending the 1st night in Prague I want to travel by train

towards Brno and stop off for 2 nights before spending 3 nights in Brno then spending another night somewhere on the return trip

to Prague.

I have been to Pardubice and do not want to return I am looking for

something smaller any suggestions of non touristy towns/villages would be appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

I liked Tabor about halfway between Prague and Ceske Budejovice, don;t know if there is a direct train connection from there to Brno though i think one night in tabor may be enough it is not a big place,

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

The following towns are all worth visiting - going East, rather than SE - still could be done on the way to Brno: (probably via Ceska Trebova)

Litomysl. Boskovice, Letovice...castles, interesting towns....going even more East - Olomouc.

www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/litomysl.html

www.discoverczech.com/boskovice/index.php4

south-moravia.info/letovice/castles-chateaux/

Cerna Hora Brewery & the town compulsivetraveler.tv/videos/1078-Czech-Brew…

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

I would second Olomouc. Not exactly in-between, but easy to get to from Brno (best by bus - they go all the time) and with rapid connection to Prague.

It depends how far off the beaten track you want to go and there isn't an enormous choice on the direct route. Žďár nad Sázavou might be worth a look - the town itself isn't any great shakes, but it has Santini's masterpiece pilgrimage church which is a UNESCO world heritage site http://www.zdarns.cz/en/green-hill.asp

There are direct trains from Brno, and also from there to Prague, although they are not international expresses.

Closer to Brno you might want to stop off at Blansko and go to the caves www.moravskykras.net/en/moravian-karst.html - it is about 25 minutes by train from Brno, get the bus up to Skalní mlýn and there is a great little hotel there of the same name http://www.skalnimlyn.cz/en/ which won't break the bank and you can use it as a base to go and walk up/get the ski lift to see the abyss or visit the caves, perhaps go on the underground river boat trip.

You can either get the slow train from there to Prague, or go back to Brno and get the express, but you probably wouldn't be saving a lot of time by doing that.

Kutná Hora is another possibility, and it is extensively described in this forum.

See www.idos.cz for train times - English button bottom right.

Enjoy!

Edited: 09 February 2012, 20:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

Thank you all for taking the time to post such great and informed advise.

I think I will now go direct to Brno then

Olomouc and then one of Sophie's suggestions for the last day before heading back to Prague airport.

Some of the things GCEK suggests I will do whist staying in Brno which will be 4 nights now not 3.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 06:05
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
436 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

I'd have recommened Kutna Hora it's on one of the Prague-Brno lines, so very easy to get to and a wealth of history in the town... but as you've already decided I'd say Litomysl would be my preferred option from Sophies list..

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

Can you get to all of these places by train? And are any of them consider day trips out of Prague.. We will be stationed in Prague for 10 nights, but willing to do day travel and overnight once.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

Train or bus or combination thereof - see www.idos.cz for all times (English button bottom right).

Brno is probably better situated for day trips, but if you are in Prague then there is still plenty to keep you busy. As to what is suitable for a day trip is up to you and your ability to put up with bus/train journeys.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

If you like historical towns, but also the local places, not so touristy, you can stop at Třebíč ( www.unesco-czech.cz ). There is direct connection from Prague and to Brno www.jizdnirady.cz

( little English flag on the right)

Brno is very pleasant town, GCEK can give you a good advices.

Moravský kras is very nice trip.

Not easy choice ....

9. Re: Prague - Brno plus somewhere in between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 10:21