We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

We plan on traveling from Prague for an overnight to Cesky Krumlov (and back) with stops at a few destinations on the way in August 2012.

For this purpose, we've contacted Mike's chauffeur service as we've decided to have a driver rather than renting a car ourselves.

1) Anyone have recent experience with using his service?

If so can you comment either on the forum or by PM?

2) What area of Prague would you recommend staying in that is closer to the road that would take us toward Cesky Krumlov?

We want the driver to pick us up early in the morning, so staying in a convenient location would be important to avoid getting stuck in a lot of traffic.

Thanks for your help!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

I don´t have any experience with Mike´s,but can give you the contact to very good licensed English speaking driver:

Nosek Richard, +420 604 147 989, rich.A1@volny.cz

About the area: the city centre (around Wenceslas Square) or Prague 5 ( Smíchov), it can be also part of Prague 2 and 4. You can go to Český Krumlov by 2 ways from Prague. Better advice, if I know the place you are thinking about.

If you leave early morning, traffic is usually not so heavy. Very easy on Saturday and Sunday.

Best regards

Hana

Edited: 14 February 2012, 08:45
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

Mike's is a small outfit and I never see them at the airport, but wish them good luck....much better supporting a small local business than a big corporation.

Check his prices and maybe contact

http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/

They are a similar company, and reliable. However, the lowest prices are not always the best....service is what matters.

And anywhere in centre would do for your accommodation, I usually drive to CK just one way, joining the inner ring road (magistrala) then onto the motorway, Benesov and towards Ceske Budejovice.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

Dear Tilly, the next time you can try also the road: Strakonická, Písek, České Budějovice. Not bad....

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

If I go for this trip with my clients, I combine the both ways.

Strakonická - it goes through Čimelice (our favourite topic again WWII!).

Best regards Hana

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

Yes, they survived the war, came back and had to escape 4 years later. And those were the lucky ones. I saw a couple of TV episodes about pilots after the WW2, I think Dejdar played one of the pilots, can't remember what it was called though..sorry being off topic.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

some previous comments about Mike's service are listed if you use the search box above next to "Prague Forums" ....seems to be reputable/reliable

simply type in "Mike" and info/threads will pop up

while in that area of CK and CB you should also consider Hluboka Castle

a short drive from Ceske Budejovice

http://www.zamek-hluboka.eu/en/

----------

the majority of traffic is coming into the city and you will be leaving... IMO I would chose your accomodatoin in the center or if you still prefer, a little due south of the center ..as an ex.

http://www.corinthia.com/en/Prague/home/

http://www.holidayinn.cz/en/

both located at Vysherad Metro stop

Edited: 14 February 2012, 11:00
farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

Thank you all for your suggestions!

And tejashombre we were planning to visit the Hluboka Castle on the way.

Is Ceske Budejovice also worth a stop? We are not at all interested in brewery tours, and are not enjoyers of beer. Wondering if it's worth stopping to see the town square?

My husband mentions wanting to make a stop in Tabor, so will ask the driver to stop there on the way as well, or perhaps on the way back.

So much to do in just the one day.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited: 14 February 2012, 14:52
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

If you want to stop in Tabor, then your driver will take you the way I normally drive...and undoubtedly he will point out the roof tops/towers of Konopiste castle on the right side just before Benesov.

I've not been to Tabor for ages, since they've built the ring road......

Hluboka is just north west of Ceske Budejovice, and I am sure the driver will go via CB on the way to CK,, so might as well take you through the centre. And if you find it interesting you can stop. If not just carry on to CK.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

If you want to do this trip in one day, think about minimum time 12 hours.

2,5 hours is one way only. Český Krumlov minimum 4 hours to be there.

Stop in Tábor takes also about 1 hour, České Budějovice the same. I am not thinking about 1 hour to walk around the town, but if the traffic is heavy, you spend the time just to go to the city centre from the main road.

On the way back Hluboká, better without an entrance.

My last trip to Český Krumlov was for 10 hours, just Český Krumlov (without the visit of the castle, but having lunch there), 20 minutes on the main square of České Budějovice + driving to Hluboká just for the view of the castle. Traffic was easy...

Everything is easier if you go there Saturday or Sunday. Working days are busier. It can be a nice trip for 2 days....

Edited: 14 February 2012, 16:42
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,584 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car and Driver and hotel stay location question

Too much for one day, I agree. I think I misread the question, though you are staying overnight in CK.

Edited: 14 February 2012, 16:45