We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

haven't been to any of these 3 cities in the past. thanks for your input! Judy

New York City
Level Contributor
15 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Absolutely, hands down, PRAGUE...I've been to both cities and love them both, but Prague by far will win your heart. It is not onlyone of the most romantic cities i've ever seen in Europe, (and i've been everywhere) it is also extremely easy to walk around, and it has a large oldtown that is just wonderful. Budapest really is a bit downtrodden and aside from the main shopping street and food hall, there isn't so much in Pest. On the Buda side (the Hills) it's lovely, and fun, but it's a bit of a headache to get to. Stick with Prague this time, you'll be very happy.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Europe
Europe
World
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Have been to all 3 places too......and Prague by far gets my vote! Not sure where you are from, but as I am from Australia, Prague old-town square was one of the most magical experiences of all 3 trips to Europe.

And if you like to walk and get amongst it....those cobbled streets will have you going around in circles for hours!

HINT: don't eat or drink in the town square......at least 3 times the price of anywhere else. Find one of the many, many great restaurants or tavern hidden in the labyrinth of little streets. The best beer by far is in Prague!!

Cheers & good luck.\

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Europe
Europe
World
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

also, forgot to say that we caught the train from Vienna to Prague......a wonderful trip with great scenery and really cheap! Just remember that when you get into Prague you have to get one of the local trains into the city and make sure you have your ticket on you when you get off the train. I was "man-handled" by security because I couldn't understand what they were asking me when they asked for my ticket! All added to the wonderful memories I have of Prague.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

I've not been to Budapest yet, but I can confirm what Kafka said about Prague:

"This old crone has claws." It never lets you go.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Birmingham
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

I would have to toss a coin on this one. I loved both the cities. I visited Prague a while ago and it is very beautiful. While there I went to see a local orchestra one evening, everyone was dressed up and it was a lovely experience.

Budapest has perhaps a less striking beauty but if you want to enjoy the spa experience as well as the sites, then this is the one to do. We also really enjoyed our dining experiences in Budapest.

I am sure you will really enjoy which ever you decide on.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Our trip last Fall was Budapest then to Vienna (via train), Then Salzburg, then train to Prague. All of the cities you are considering are well worth a visit, and as the other posters have indicated, they are very, very different. Prague was very crowded with tourists and very easy to get around, and really not to be missed. Budapest is spread out (as it was two cities divided by the river). Budapest didn't feel as touristy. It's a coin toss, really. Each city has its own charm and history.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Loaded question. Research all three and let it come to personal taste. Its all apples and oranges. You know that game where you say a word and i give the first thing that comes into my mind? Here is how it would go with these three cities (have been to all three): Vienna = Trap Prague = Museum Budapest = Alive. But that's just my very subjective mind.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
TRAP Prague
TRAP Prague
682 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Hi, this is a nice informative thread. I will also be visiting Prague and Vienna in August, however only have about 5-6 days in the 2 cities. 1 poster mentioned that they did Budapest in a day trip from Prague. May i know if that is recommended?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,389 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

You cannot do Budapest as a day trip from Prague, you would be sitting on the train for circa 14 hours....but it can be done from Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: After Vienna, would you recommend Prague or Budapest?

Ok great, thanks, will look into it at the Vienna forum.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria