We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite souvenirs to bring back

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
657 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite souvenirs to bring back

Was wondering what some of the favorite souvenirs to bring back from the Czech republic and where I can get them with out paying full tourist retail prices. Since we will be traveling to other countries, I also need a suggestion on where to ship them back to the states from. Ty.

New Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

I got a Marionette puppet. There is a shop on the other side of Charles Bridge right under it as soon as you cross it. They are all home made not generic like all the other shops.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge
57,868 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
12. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 09:35
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

Marionettes; the best one I've found was in Mala Strana. I totally agree with tejashombre, I used to bring crystal from CZ but found the same items in original boxes with Bohemia Crystal stickers in Tuesday Morning, often at much lower prices & no shipping.

Mentioned in this post
Mala strana
Mala strana
4,306 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Bohemia
Bohemia
Czech Republic
Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

Please STOP bumping up old threads ,look at the dates ..Especialy when you are advertising post# 12 ,it is against TAs guidelines!

Ostrava, Czech...
Level Contributor
303 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

I agree with Oldriska that marionettes are perfect Czech souvenirs. There has been a long wood-carving and film-making (Trnka, Svankmajer etc) tradition.However, be careful to buy just wooden ones with nice carving and the artist's signature. You can find some specialized shops in Prague for sure (or internet maybe another good source).

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

I would like to buy an authentic ceramic beer stein that is used in the pubs, is that a possibility?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

Not many pubs use ceramic steins any more. Many have steins owned by their regular customers on hand, but those are not for the pub to sell.

Beer glasses are sold by lots of pubs. U Medvidku has some very nice ones.

You can also find ceramic steins in antique and second hand shops.

If someone knows of a Praha pub that sells them, or even still uses them, I'd love to know about it.

Mentioned in this post
U Medvidku
U Medvidku
3,451 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to being there and partaking of the food and beer..

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

The best place to buy any mugs or steins is in Plzen at the Pilsner Urquell brewery gift shop. They have a great selection. But as whovous said, no one uses ceramic steins any more.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Favorite souvenirs to bring back

the shop in U medvidku usually has a decent selection of ceramic beer mugs,with and without lids.