We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs/passport control question

Ca.
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Customs/passport control question

I am traveling from the USA to Prague and changing planes in FRA. My colleague changes planes in London. From what I have read we will arrive at different terminals because of Schengen / non-Schengen issues and that planes connecting from Schengen countries do not go through customs. I called my airlines and was told I do not go through customs or airport control in FRANKFURT. . I am confused. Does anyone know where I go through customs?

Also, I am supposed to arrive 30 min before her. Is it an easy walk to terminal 1 from terminal 2?

Thanks...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs/passport control question

You will go through immigration in Frankfurt, but for customs in Prague.

Your friend will go through immigration and customs in Prague. (Assuming he stays airside at Heathrow).

Terminal 1 to 2 - two minutes?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs/passport control question

I should add for Frankfurt - assuming you are on a through ticket and will not have to recheck for Prague flight.

Ca.
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs/passport control question

I change from United to Lufthansa airlines in Frankfurt.

So for clarification, I will arrive at Terminal 2, but go through customs there?

Thanks again...you are amazing !

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs/passport control question

Ok, United and Lufthansa are both Star Alliance so your luggage will get transfered automatically...hence no rechecking.

You cannot clear customs unless you have your luggage with you...so that will happen in Prague where you'll clear the customs. but it is a simple process, you don't fill in any paperwork, just walk through the customs channel and if the custom officers take a dislike, then they will stop you. But you need not do anything, just walk:)

Yes, you will arrive in Terminal 2.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs/passport control question

In practice, customs involves walking through a door as long as you go through the one that says nothing to declare.

St. Augustine...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs/passport control question

We are traveling on American Airlines from Jax (Florida) to London in September.

Prefer to use less costly airline from London to final destination Prague.

Need to know how long to allow for clearing customs ( in London) to safely make reservation for London to Prague flight.

Will we need to clear customs at both London and Prague?

What about immigration?

Thanks for your help.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs/passport control question

You should have booked directly to Prague via LHR with Prague leg on BA metal - both in the same alliance, both use Terminal 3, and no customs or immigration in London....only in Prague.

BA is the only flight which flies from Heathrow, for low cost you would have to go to other London airports i.e. Gatwick, Stansted or Luton....and if you do that, you will clear both customs and immigration in London and would have to allow quite a bit of time to connect to the other airports.

St. Augustine...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs/passport control question

We were unable to get seats (using AA points) from LHR to PRA and the

cost was ridiculous for a 2 hour flight even for coach thus we were looking into other options for this leg. Saw BA flights for much less than quoted by AA platinum rep online, thus my questions about clearing customs.

Need to know if we can make a 10:20 flight if arriving at LHR at 9:05 from

transatlantic flt.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs/passport control question

I think that as they are in the same alliance you should be able to check all the way to Prague even though you are flying on separate tickets. If not then you would have to clear both customs and immigration and recheck with BA - then you would not make it for 10.20 flight.

But I am not an expert on this so I suggest you post on the Air Travel forum, outlining all relevant points....,separate tickets, which airlines, and the route.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs/passport control question

oh and don't forget to mention whether you will have a checked in luggage...that will make a difference to the answer. If you don't have one, and check in with BA on line, then there should not be a problem getting 10.20 flight if your US flight is on time.