We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging money

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging money

I see on the site most recommend using an ATM which we will ( I hope) with our ING account - However is it wise to maybe exchange 200-300 before we take off from the US so we have some money when we get there and not need to find one right off ? Also I have see some say the ATM did not work and would hate that to happen. Looking at an online exchange service I see I can get 5,000 for 310 US - Does that sound OK ? Never done this before so thought to ask before we move forward and buy. Also plan to use our regular credit card where possible too as it has no transaction fees - thanks

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging money

I use my Citibank ATM card as there is a branch within a 3 minute walk from my hotel (Buddha Bar).

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging money

Hi, as I checked the exchange rate on:

www.exchange.cz/…

I think the rate of 16 czk/1 USD is quite low. You should be able to buy about 18 czk/1USD.

Im sure you will not have a problem to use your ATM card here in Prague and we have ATM on almost each corner in the center. But I can not find any ING ATM. I found some ING banks in Prague, maybe there you can check whether there is ATM.

ING bank

U Prašné brány 1

Prague 1

Vinohradská 125

Prague 3

Nádražní 25

Prague 5

Korunovační 6

Prague 7

Rgds Sona

Stenhousemuir
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging money

http://www.alfaprague.cz/web2/

http://www.exchange.cz/

Just as SonaH says. 18.40

These 2 are about the best in Prague. I changed enough money at home to cover airport transfer and a bit of pocket money then used the change bureau when I went there the first time. My ATM experiences told me not to use one outside a Change Bureau - you get their exchange rate plus any fees from your own card provider.

If you intend returning, then keep around 1000 for next time.

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging money

If you use an ATM what is a common exchange rate ? I see nothing around me that would let me buy at 18 or close to that. I wrote ING in Prague and they are just a savings bank there with no ATM's - So the only place I can exchange in on line as the two big banks here do not and the best I can get is around 15 -16 . If I get 200 - 300 hundred is that really too much as I think most are looking for a min of 250 - thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging money

I always use ATMs - I am not going to go into the ins and outs of using them, exchange rates, etc, but in the grand scheme of things they are just easier and you can be pretty sure that you won't be ripped off, but that depends on the arrangement you have with your bank, I suppose.

5000 crowns should be fine for a week or so, and you can splash out a bit.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging money

In case of ATM issues, I just take a couple hundred dollars as a backup that I can exchange for local cash to tide me over until I sort out the issue. I've never had to exchange that money, but it is nice to have.

7. Re: Exchanging money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2012, 11:35
Stenhousemuir
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging money

Re 7. No harm meant, OP. It's just that you ask on here and appear not to listen.

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging money

Being new and never doing this I was not sure as the site you list show the 18 rate as an exchange however when I try to buy any online the best rate to buy was at 15 -16 or so. I take no offense as everyone has the right to belittle and insult anyone on a website that is looking for help , you shown your right - I will move on and look elsewhere going forward

Stenhousemuir
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchanging money

You've been on here since July 2010, so spare me the excretum tauri.