We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer, beer and pub questions

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
765 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer, beer and pub questions

We will be staying at Pension Dietzenhofer which is on Nosticova-we are definitely going to get a private transfer from the airport to the hotel for convenience but how easy would it be to get public transport back to the airport?

It's obviously a lot cheaper but just wondering for the sake of £20 or so is it worth the hassle of walking with a suitcase and hand luggage and lugging it on and off (presumably) a tram and bus?

Could anyone recommend a good pub with bar food around the area of the hotel? If all goes to plan we should be arriving at the hotel around 9pm and will be ready for a beer and something to eat and don't really want to wander off to far to begin with.

I know it's a a matter of personal taste but which local beer would you recommend for someone who's ususal taste is real ale but is happy to experiment :-)

Thanks!

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

It is easy to get public transport from your hotel to the airport. You can catch the 20 tram from Karmelitska near your hotel travelling in a northerly direction to the Dejvika stop. From here, get the 119 bus all the way to the airport. You will need an 32 Kc ticket each, which you validate once in the yellow machine when you enter the tram. You don't need to validate it again. You will also need a ticket for any large luggage items.

There is an excellent cellar bar in the next road down from your hotel. It's called BarBar on Vsehrdova, opposite the Best Western Kampa Hotel. The food is excellent and very good value, being a mix of some Czech dishes and bistro type dishes. There are other bars in the area, if you want some beer, but BarBar is good for food. Great value specials too.

http://www.bar-bar.cz/

There is a first class Mexican restaurant very near your hotel called Cantina at 38 Ujezd. Very good food and great atmosphere. The kitchen here is open quite late.

http://www.restauracecantina.cz/

I'm a real ale drinker at home, but when in Prague I drink the lager (svetly). It bears no relation to the chemical stuff in the UK, and is a natural product that I call 'real ale lager'. After over indulging, you will benefit from it's purity the next morning because your head and stomach won't really suffer. It's almost medicinal. Make sure you try a few Becherovkas with your beer. Most lagers in Prague will be good, eg. Pilsner Urquell, Budvar, Kozel, Staropramen, Svijani, Cerna Hora. Don't forget to try the excellent dark beers too.

If you want proper pubs that are reasonably close, try U Medvidku and my favourite Prague beer hall U Cerneho Vola on Loretenske Namesti. If you want really local try U Kocoura at 2 Nerudova and the very busy U Hrocha (excellent Pilsner) at 10 Thunovska.

http://www.umedvidku.cz/

Enjoy!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

I cannot disagree with anything Whitespirit has said but can I add ,try the Klasterini Pivovary in the Strahov Monastry complex, make their own beer there and it is superb, their IPA is outstanding and very strong ,

Cerna Hora do a wheat beer called Velen look out for it as it is superb.

when are you visiting , the Beer festival starts on the 17th may.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
765 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

Thanks very much for your helpful and detailed reply Whitespirit, we'll certainly try and check out those places you recommend and all the beers- the BarBar looks ideal!

Seems the public transport option isn't too difficult so we might give that a go after all.

Gus, thanks again for your input, We are there 21st-25th May. We were planning to visit Petrin Hill/Tower and I understand the Strahov Monastry is within walking distance from there so that would fit in nicely and I do like a good IPA.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

ceskypivnifestival.cz/en/about-festival.shtml

I would get yourselves down to the Beer festival even if just for an hour or so I am sure you will like it.

The strahov monastry is an easy walk from Petrin Tower,the Library there was reopened last year after major restoration and is about 40 yards from the Klasterini Pivovar,bewar the IPA in there is 6.3% alcohol.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
514 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

Yes you will Enjoy Klasterni Pivovar, Strahov. Very nice Walk around Petrin Hill. Myself Like the Dark Norbert.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
765 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

On the subject of Petrin hill/tower, is it within easy walking distance of the Mala Strana area or do you need to use the Funicular railway?

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

Petrin Hill is quite steep. OK if you're quite fit, but we prefer to use the funicular. It's very close to your hotel - the road it's in is U Lanove Drahy, on the main Ujezd Road.

The Funicular has 3 stations, the first being the bottom station, a cafe halh way, then the top station at the Petrin Tower itself. From here, you have a fairly level walk across to the monastery.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 20:00
Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
765 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

Great info, thanks again Whitespirit!

I think we'd class ourselves as reasonably fit but I guess it will save time to use the funicular and that will be an experience in itself so we'll probably do that and eventually enjoy a nice walk to the monastry and reward ourselves with an IPA or 2 ;-)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

Or 3 but careful on the way back downhill though! ;-D

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer, beer and pub questions

This has prompted me to put the monastery on our itinerary for next trip.

Although we have been up the hill many times, and our usual hotel is very close, we have never visited the monks - or sampled their wares.

Hmm. 3 IPAs. 6.3%. Have to remember the vow of silence.

Enjoy your visit ClaretAl.