We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

Peoria, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

We will be driving from Germany into Prague on Saturday May 19. We are staying not far off of a major road near the Institute of Chemical Technology in Prague. Near the Dejvická subway stop (end of the green line?).

We have booked parking at our hotel and plan to drive in and leave the car parked at the hotel during our stay.

My question is, with arriving on a Saturday, is there a particular time we should avoid arriving. Our plans are flexible at this point. We just want to make sure we're not arriving during rush hour.

IN addition, we are leaving for Cesky Krumlov on Tuesday morning. We want to leave early enough to get out of Prague before morning rush hour traffic starts. What time should we plan on leaving to avoid this?

Thank you

LAURA

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,305 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

'Driving from Germany' is not really an adequate information...driving via Pilsen or from Dresden? Or from?

If from Pilsen on D5, I would stay on the ring road...follow the sign Prague airport, and nip down just before the airport to the centre on Evropska. That will take you quite quickly to Dejvicka metro. You won't find Saturday that busy.

Going through Prague on a weekday is always busy. You could even go back to the ring road and avoid the centre entirely.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

Tuesday I would definitely "back to the ring road and avoid the centre entirely" no matter which way you choose to go to CK

Peoria, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

Thank you.

We will be coming from Germany on the D5. We planned to take the Ring road to Evropska.

I won't worry about our arrival time on Saturday then.

On Tuesday we planned to take the ring road to south of Prague then pick up a road there.

Will Evropska or the ring road get crowded Tuesday morning? For example, I live near Chicago and the highways get very crowded by 0700. I would recommend anyone leaving Chicago on weekday to leave by 0600 to avoid traffic jams.

LAURA

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,305 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

No, not really crowded, Evropska is leading out of town, and that part of the ring road is hardly ever hugely busy.

So I reckon from Dejvicka via ring road to join D1 (to Benesov and down south) about half an hour? What do you think praguepivo?

Edited: 06 May 2012, 18:41
Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

I never go to CK via Benesov always through Pisek (R4 >E49>E55) usually takes me 2.5 hours

Edited: 06 May 2012, 18:52
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,305 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

That's probably (almost definitely) a much nicer route. I go via Benesov because I know that road like the back of my hand:)

Edited: 06 May 2012, 19:19
7. Re: Driving into prague - Rush hour times??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:18