We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western union money changing scam

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
91 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Western union money changing scam

Beware of changing your money in Prague! I went into what I thought was a western union and got totally screwed out of almost 100 usd! I went there because of the western union name but now i dont even think it was one. Changing money is apparently totally unregulated so they bend you over if you give them a Chance to do so, I suggest just using your ATM card if you need money. I've changed money before all over the world and have never had a problem. Well, I learned a hundred dollar lesson today. No wonder there are so many change houses all over this city.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western union money changing scam

Lots of previous posts on this very subject if you search ,here is just one.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k414…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,339 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western union money changing scam

What do you mean by totally unregulated? As far as I know, any exchange in the world (ok don't know about North Korea) can set their rates anyway they like as long as they display sell/buy rate plus the level of commission.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western union money changing scam

Yes, the advice to use the ATM is good. I don't know so many people screw around with currency exchange anymore.

Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western union money changing scam

I just got conned today outside western union money changer by a guy hanging around the front of it. Luckily only changed 100 euro thinking I got 2600 in Czech money. Presented 2000 note at a restaurant and found out it was hungarian money. All up lost 90euro so beware, not like me who ignored wife and took the money on trust no realizing different currency...... Bugger wife wins again

Edited: 16 June 2012, 21:16
5. Re: Western union money changing scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 June 2012, 17:55
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western union money changing scam

You are trouble pal

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,119 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western union money changing scam

lame sarcasim yes, trouble no

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western union money changing scam

I would love to find this utopia where everybody is trustworthy and it is possible to just change money with random dudes on the street and get an excellent deal and in local currency.

Such a utopia must certainly exist as there are lots of posters on here who do exactly this in the hope that whatever system is in place on the streets of their home country somehow extends to Prague/Budapest/Riga/Krakow (delete as necessary).

Terry S - you don't give an idea of your place of residence. Pray tell, and I shall go there forthwith and take advantage of such good nature.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western union money changing scam

Why oh why would anyone think that someone offering to exchange money on the street is doing anything other than running a scam?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Western union money changing scam

The same happened to me, just today, in the Western Union change money office, old city square, Prague. They gave me about 6000 CZK in change of 350 Euro....

Their change is about 17 instead of the usual rate of 24-25 . I tried to have back my money but the operator prsented to me a complain form.

How can be possible that in Czech Republic the law still permits to those scammers to remain on action???