We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help-Prague-Vienna with small towns/car

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help-Prague-Vienna with small towns/car

Hi,

We are planning a 11 day trip flying into and out of Prague in mid-July. We would like to spend 3-4 days in Prague and Vienna each but also go to Cesky Krumlove and spend some time (2-3 nights) in small scenic towns in southern CZ or the Wachau Valley. What do you think is best? I am trying to figure out whether we should rent a car in Cesky Krumlov and drive from there or whether it would make more sense to take a train or shuttle to Vienna and explore from there. We enjoy beautiful small towns, wineries,art, nice scenery and gourmet food. I would appreciate any thoughts on how to best use our time to have a countryside experience. I have read about towns like Mikulov and Durnstein but am not sure how to put this all together into one trip. I am happy to pay a little more for a rental car to have a really nice experience if that is better than public transportation. Here are 2 options but I would appreciate any help with itinerary ideas!! Have not booked flights yet so have a little flexibility.

Option 1:

Days 1-4 Prague

Day 5: Cesky-Krumlov (take private tour or bus to get there). Overnight C-K

Day 6-7: Southern CZ (small towns--where is best??)

Day 8-10: Vienna (with day trip to Wachau Valley--public transportation)

Day 11: Travel directly to Prague to fly out

Option 2

Days 1-4 Prague (bus to C-K)

Day 5: Cesky-Krumlov (bus or train to Vienna)

Day 6-9: Vienna

Day 8-10: Rent car and drive to Wachau Valley--overnight in Durnstein

Day 11: Drop car in Linz and take train to Prague

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help-Prague-Vienna with small towns/car

I would not recommend driving around the Czech Republic (drivers can be aggressive). Taking the Student Agency bus to Cesky Krumlov is a very convenient option.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help-Prague-Vienna with small towns/car

To be driver, I don´t think it´s so bad....

If you don´t mind to pay the car rent from Prague, you have your time and you can do what you want....

To have your own car:

From Český Krumlov you can go to Vienna ( Wachau Valley on the way), from Vienna back to Prague stop in Southern Moravia ( Mikulov, Lednice, Valtice ).

Places to stop there on the way Prague - Český Krumlov (it depends which way you go): Příbram, Písek, Tábor, Konopiště and many others.

Places around Český Krumlov: Třeboň, České Budějovice, Rožmberk, Zlatá Koruna,Holašovice (Unesco). Lipno lake and a little town Frymburk.

Public transport, Oldřiška is right, Student Agency bus to Český Krumlov, continue from Český Krumlov to Vienna ( shuttle, train ?)

Did you think also about a river transportation?

Wurm und Kock company, very nice boats and the service. Vienna - Linz, a few stops, one is also in Duernstein. I did their trip Passau - Linz, very well organized, nice service, helpfull staff.

Not easy to decide.....

Best regards

Hana

3. Re: Itinerary help-Prague-Vienna with small towns/car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:41