We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slovakia

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Topic
Slovakia

1- When in Prague , would like to get out and see some of the Czech countryside / towns villages would welcome any of your suggestions for must see ... ..

2- and is it possible to maybe go see a bit of Slovakia and if so by train ( what the journey ) time or is it better to fly ?

thanks

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slovakia

How many days do you have for your trip?

It will help....

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slovakia

As both the train and the bus take about 4 hours to go from Prague to Bratislava, I would definitely not fly.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,709 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slovakia

But it is really not worth an eight hour detour - you only need 4 hours maximum there anyway.

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Slovakia

Thanks for response, I will have 6 days

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Slovakia

Great it takes 4 hours on bus or train , so do I book ahead if so where?

Or just select a day before and go to Prague train station ?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slovakia

https://www.cd.cz/eshop/

for English click 'en' top line right...from 60 days in advance...although personally I would not bother going to Bratislava, the cost or the train is about 40 usd return

Edited: 07 June 2012, 18:50
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,709 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slovakia

There is honestly nothing to see or do there, so unless you have urgent business I would give it a miss. Got to go tomorrow, but only for family reasons and for as short a time as possible :)

If you want somewhere that is worthwhile seeing then go to Brno

guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/19/low-cost-f…

brno.cz/fileadmin/…Brno_1en.wmv

If you want to see some of the 'real' Slovakia then get an overnight train to Poprad and see the Tatra mountains and maybe some of the medieval towns and villages there such as Levoča or Kežmarok, both UNESCO world heritage sites. Slovakia has some wonderful places, unfortunately Bratislava comes very far down the list.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 22:44
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slovakia

Agree with GCEK, if you really want to go to Slovakia, night train to Poprad and the area around.

If you have the car, everything can be easier...

What must be seen? Everybody has the different preferences. If you like the historical towns: www.unesco-czech.cz

If you like countryside, every distance from Prague has something interesting.

Try to be more specific...

Best regards

Hana

Edited: 09 June 2012, 08:41
9. Re: Slovakia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:16