We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scamed in Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
scamed in Prague

Has anyone like me been scammed in Prague as I was this weekend? I was walking down the street and some one offered to change money. But hey I am smart ( so I thought) I said I had already changed my money and so he said I can give you smaller bills for the 1000 kc I had. I thought why notas it might be useful for the odd beer in a pub.And its not I am gonna get scammed on the exchange rate. So he hands me 500 denomination bills for the 3 1000kc bills I had. It wasn't till later I realised he had given me Hungarian bills which are the same size and look similar! So please guys stay away from any street people trying to be helpful! So its not rude to say take a hike buddy. I wish I had said that...oh well an expensive lesson!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scamed in Prague

oh dear

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,436 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scamed in Prague

I was in Prague last week and there was a police stand in Old Town square giving people advice on how to stay safe in the city, big sign beside the stand said "Do not exchange money on the street".

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scamed in Prague

In March, I happened to be strolling down Karlova, which is a main tourist conduit from the end of Charles Bridge to the O T Sq. Paused very briefly to have a laugh at the derisory rates in a tourist-trap bureau, and heard a loud 'psssst'.

It was some shifty looking spiv-type, calling me over, asking if I wanted to change money. Hmm. That's a definite no.

They are about!

Edited: 05 June 2012, 19:41
Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scamed in Prague

We got approached on our way to Old Town Square on our last day-we were aware of this shifty looking middle-aged guy walking alongside us then he asked me if I wanted to exchange any money.

Remembering what I'd read on here about other peoples experiences I told him no thanks we didn't need any Hungarian currency-I think that surprised him a bit but I must admit his response surprised me more-he asked if I was German!

We just ignored him and carried on walking..

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,243 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scamed in Prague

"I've got some ocean front property in Arizona, if you'll buy that, I'll through in the Golden Gate free" George Strait

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scamed in Prague

ha ha, I must have had a brain fade and I hate myself for being stupid and falling for whom I thought was being helpful! Never mind its a life lesson!

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scamed in Prague

must have been the same guy who scammed me I must have looked stupid! Oh well live and learn!

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scamed in Prague

Brave though, to come on here and admit it. Thanks for the tip.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scamed in Prague

Been mentioned on here lots of times but good to bring it to the front again .

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,150 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scamed in Prague

Isn't it wierd how in your home town if someone came up to you and asked if you wanted to change bank notes with them you would tell them to feck off.

However go to a strange city where you have little idea what the currency is and you think to yourself. Hmm. Thats a great idea!

We humans are a strange breed.