We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scamed in Prague

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
scamed in Prague

Has anyone like me been scammed in Prague as I was this weekend? I was walking down the street and some one offered to change money. But hey I am smart ( so I thought) I said I had already changed my money and so he said I can give you smaller bills for the 1000 kc I had. I thought why notas it might be useful for the odd beer in a pub.And its not I am gonna get scammed on the exchange rate. So he hands me 500 denomination bills for the 3 1000kc bills I had. It wasn't till later I realised he had given me Hungarian bills which are the same size and look similar! So please guys stay away from any street people trying to be helpful! So its not rude to say take a hike buddy. I wish I had said that...oh well an expensive lesson!

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: scamed in Prague

Did you try to buy food in the old town square with your 500 forint notes and find a lot of the stalls have prices quoted on the menu, and they slap food in a reasonable size plastic bowl and then ask for five times the price as you failed to see the pencilled note on the menu saying "per 50g"?

Another scam.

Sadly Prague never seems to understand that ripping tourists off is eventually counter productive.

Didn't happen to me as the guy in front got scammed.

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: scamed in Prague

I am sure Prague understands that ripping tourists off is counter productive.

In many parts of the world, the people who end up ripping tourists off are not local -- tourist destinations attract many people from other places and other countries that move there with the single aim of ripping tourists off. It is good not to blame the local people -- they are usually the ones who love their home and would not do things like that there. Of course there may be some "locals" involved in questionable behaviors but in my experience, it is mostly people form other places who do not mind that they are giving Prague a bad reputation.

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: scamed in Prague

Maybe I should have asked him. The Sparta badge on his shirt may have been a giveaway?

:)

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: scamed in Prague

you can say that again......all these years of travel I have never exchanged money on the street........I just don't understand why changed my money for the smaller notes!

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: scamed in Prague

No I didn't use the florints as I showed them to a waiter in a restaurant and he said they were worthless...lucky it was my last full day and just had enough Ck currency to pay for my meal ! I just hope this experience doesn't sour my views about people.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: scamed in Prague

I agree Oldriska , I met some really helpful locals in Prague and one day I will go back there as its such a lovely city.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
285 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: scamed in Prague

Unfortunately, Prague is getting overly crowded with some undesirables. We were told that since beer is cheaper than water many young adults come from nearby countries to "drink." We noticed and heard a lot of rowdy individuals and just walking the streets and avoiding the "free" tours, the endless concert ticket hawkers and beckoning shop owners detracted from the beauty of the city. It's best to stay away from the main streets, I guess.

18. Re: scamed in Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2012, 04:05
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,967 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: scamed in Prague

no, I am not THAT old!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: scamed in Prague

A lot of people propositioned me about currency exchanges on the street. I think it would be obvious to a moderately experienced traveller, that they are scammers.

In all fairness to the citizens of Prague (whom I found very helpful and friendly) they did not appear to be locals - sadly one was from my country.