We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
533 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate

Hi

Can anyone tell me please what the exchange rate is at the moment. Just wondering if I should change money at home or wait until I get there?

Berlin, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate

For current exchange rate you can use Google just search for "1USD to CZK" or other currency instead of USD and you will see current exchange rate. http://goo.gl/RNT54

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate

They are not current rates, just mid point bank rates...which you won't get.

The best rate if you're changing sterling for cash in Prague is probably exchange in Kaprova....31.20 crowns for 1GBP (today rate)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
533 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate

Many thanks for the replies

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate

I used the cash points in Prague and got a better rate than my freinds who changed before they went. Just avoid the guys on the streets offering better rates!!!!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate

I always use cash points......it's the most convenient way.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rate

Just watch your bank's charges for ATM transactions. Mine (Lloyds) is £2 a go. Can work out expensive.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rate

It is important to check your bank's fees and figure that into your choice.

Generally speaking, even if your bank charges you a few bucks per transaction, because you get a good exchange rate, you come out ahead if you use your ATM. And by withdrawing larger amounts at a time, you can decrease the effect of the transaction charge.

If you exchange cash for cash, you won't get nearly as good of an exchange rate and that can make exchanging cash comparatively expensive.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rate

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo… details absolutely the cheapest way to spend abroad for UK residents.

I followed their advice and I pay less than 1% away from the raw exchange rate on all my foreign cash (Halifax Clarity credit card) and I just use ATMs when I need money.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
533 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rate

Loads of info, thank you very much

10. Re: Exchange rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:42