We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 surprisingly cheap European cities

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,348 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
10 surprisingly cheap European cities

…yahoo.com/ideas/10-surprisingly-cheap-europ…

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

Prague is especially good for cheap hotels. You can get large rooms with fridge and small kitchenette close to the centre for less than you'd pay for a dump in most cities.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

Thanks for posting Tejas, very interesting.

Like the idea that Dublin is a cheap destination. I have friends with family there, and they are shocked at food and drink prices. Think it was 5 Euros for a Guinness and they lived on KFC, as they couldn't afford to eat out anywhere else. Maybe the article is based on the cost of flights and hotels?

As for Birmingham (UK, not Alamama). Well it would have to be cheap! Apologies to any Brummies out there.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

EDIT - I to say meant 5 GBP, not Euros for a Guinness.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

Indeed - very surprising :) Dublin, Prague, Rome, Brussels, Vienna (!!) are not what I would call cheap, and Brussels is not a place that I would recommend to anyone.

I wonder how much the respective tourist boards slipped Yahoo travel in order to get on this list ...

And I have heard that of late Birmingham has become a bit of a hot-spot for foreign visitors, especially from the US, and I think that has surprised the city fathers no end. But I think any mention of proximity to Stratford (which is BTW an awful tourist trap) can do you no harm.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

GCEK, IMO you can not put Prague in that group. Try Lokal for Czech food, Grossetto Marina (a boat on the river with castle view and you can eat for under GBP 10.00 Look at Booking.com and find nice hotels for less than GBP 60.00 a night

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

OK :)

As far as I can see with the exception of Birmingham these are all capital cities. It is a real shame that travellers tend to believe that the capital cities are the only places to go. In fact in some cases they are probably the last place I would go to ...

I suppose anywhere can be cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

I know I know, you live in Brno where everything is beautiful and cheap, people should be going there instead of Prague blah blah blah.

But they don't and they probably won't no matter what you say. Prague has far much more to offer not only restaurant and hotel wise but also a variety of theatres, museums, the opera, concerts. Prague never sleeps, Brno is in bed by nine.

I know, I know there are many beautiful buildings and squares there and they do have a bit of culture and the fireworks show and the Grand Prix but Prague has it all and a lot more of it and in my opinion and the opinion of virtually every customer I have taken back to the airport over eleven years Prague is very good value for money if you take just a little bit of time and get off the main squares etc

Edited: 05 July 2012, 18:03
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

Did I mention Brno?

I was actually thinking of Bruges ... :)

But I would disagree that Brno is in bed by 9 - certainly not my experience, in fact quite the opposite ... it's all under the ground and out of the centre - seek and ye shall find!

Edited: 05 July 2012, 18:47
Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

Fear not, GCEK. Your promotion of Brno has made me want to see what all the fuss is about, so will be heading there early next year.

Will be grilling you for info in a few months time. Hope it lives up to expectations! ;-)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 surprisingly cheap European cities

And check out Ostrava if you want proper partying - it kicks Prague into a cocked hat, if that is how the expression goes. Look up 'Stodolni' - they call it the street that never sleeps. it is a whole part of town that has been set aside for pubs and clubs, a bit like Dublin's Temple Bar, but a lot livelier and on a weekend it is a sight to behold (I'm afraid I'm too old now to join in such shenanigans any more, and I don't think Mrs GCEK would approve ... :) )

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274719-…

Edited: 05 July 2012, 21:24