We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and culture

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kpk
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Hotels and culture

I am due to take my wife for a surprise 40th birthday trip to Prague butneither of us has been before. Can anyone reccomend any hotels near the centre or nightlife. Can you also tell me more about the place.

Thanks

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
50 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and culture

Hotel U Prince is right on the Starometska Nameste (Old Town Square) almost directly across from the famous Prague Astronomical Clock. It's a nice hotel with a great location, decent breakfast and lovely rooftop bar. My wife and I stayed there last year. But you will pay for being in the Old Town center.

I've also stayed at the Hilton Prague (a bit far from things, good for a business traveler but probably not right for you this trip) and also a small hotel, very charming, called the Bohemia Plaza Residence Hotel.

I recommend the Bohemia Plaza. It's near the Opera at the top of the Wencenlas Square, so 15 minutes walk to the Old Town. It is run by a husband and wife, VERY nice couple, and very hospitable. Large rooms, and recently opened (2003, if memory serves correctly) and very nicely decorated in a classic style. Maria's breakfast is very good, and their rates are very affordable. It's located at Zitka 9.

http://bohemiaplazahohtel.com

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and culture

The best areas to stay are;

1. The old town (Stare Mesto ) - probably your best bet for nightlife.

2. Mala Strana

3. Hradcany (in the vicinity of the castle).

All of these areas are very attractive, but are also a bit more expensive.

My personal preference is for somewhere withing about 5 minutes walk of old Town Square. I think that it is likely that all of the hotels which rank in Trip Advisor's top 50 will be very acceptable. My advice would be to pick one from the top 50 that falls within your budget, and is located in one of the three areas listed above.

Wenceslaus Square is known for its nightlife but I would personally avoid it - it's tacky, it's where pickpockets and ladies of the night congregate, and it attracts the the stag/hen weekenders in droves.

There are many good restaurants in Prague - I personally loved the Kampa Park but it's pricey. The best bars are traditional Czech - not only are they much better than the the faux Irish/English bars, they are also much cheaper - U Zlateho Tygra on Husova and U Medvicku on Na Perstyne are both good choices.

Prague is a beautiful city and you are sure to enjoy it.