We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich airport to Prague

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Munich airport to Prague

Hi TA devotees! I have benefited from your kind help in every case, so here I am again!

I am investigating going Munich to Prague in late November, over Thanksgiving. It will be myself and my teenage daughter. The trip will unfortunately be very short notice, so I can't schedule much in advance. I am not interested in walk-up air fares, so the train is it!

Would anyone be able to advise me on using Deutsche Bahn from Munich to Prague. From what I have researched, it looks like at some point the journey changes to a bus? Is this a safe method of travel to Prague? How about the return? It works the same way?

As for getting from the train station to our hotel, should I arrange a transfer with the hotel? How is the metro--with luggage? The hotel I am interested in is called the Alchymist. Is that in a good area?

Many thanks for any and all advice!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich airport to Prague

There's actually a bus that runs directly from the Munich Airport to Prague main station. You can buy online in advance, and if you get the special (which weds you to a specific bus at a specific time on a specific day), it can be as little as 29 euros. (Regular price is 61 euros).

Your best option for transport in Prague will depend on your hotel choice and how mobile you are with your luggage. The metro is fine with a bag or two but if you're carrying a lot, a car is probably the best option.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich airport to Prague

Hi adventureadam,

Thanks for the reply! How long does the bus take? The train looks to be about 4.5 hours, once I get to Munich. Is the bus the same in reverse?

Thanks!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich airport to Prague

Direct buses from the airport to Prague are at 1325 and 1625 buy tickets from www.studentagency.eu or www.bahn.com

It takes 4 hours 20 minutes, as opposed to c. 6 hours if you go into Munich and catch the bus from there. I'm not sure what you mean by safe - they are big comfortable buses, and I don't think they have ever been involved in any accidents. That road doesn't tend to be that busy.

There are two direct daily trains from Munich but they take about 6 hours from Munich plus the time it takes to get into Munich from the airport (which is out in the direction of Prague anyway). Not recommended.

Going back again it is the same procedure.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich airport to Prague

From 9 December there will be three or four direct Munich to Prague trains a day, at 04:55, 09:01, 17:02.

Far more civilised than hours and hours on an ugly motorway in a cramped bus! Just take local transport to Munich Hauptbahnhof to pick up the trains.

Book these trains at www.bahn.de/en - the system may annoyingly try to put you on their awful Nuremberg-Prague bus, but if you click for advanced options you can either un-tick 'bus' in 'advanced selection of means of transport' or you can change 'admit changes' to 'direct connections' to just see these direct trains, and thus stay with nice, civilised spacious trains as nature intended ;0)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich airport to Prague

The 09:01 and 17:02 trains are the existing ones, but they will still take the best part of 6 hours using elderly rolling stock www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_B.php - you know that I would always recommend the train above a bus where possible, but not on this route as from the airport the most comfortable and convenient option is the bus which is configured the same as a train and is a couple of hours quicker. It is actually an uneventful journey both by bus or by train, but at least on the bus you can sit upstairs and have a bit of a panoramic view.

If you arrive later in the afternoon, then it starts getting complicated/impossible - basically forget it if your plane arrives after c. 15:00. If it does, then start thinking about the Budapest option instead as there is a direct night train - Kalman Imre - which leaves at 23:40

Whatever, you will have to start thinking about buying tickets soon as the cheapest ones go first - there is usually good availability on the bus, though.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich airport to Prague

Agree with GCEK. I love trains and would ordinarily take them in most circumstances, but a direct bus from the airport to Prague, at about 65% of the time it would take to take transport to the center and get the train?

Alternatively, you can do as a friend of mine did this year and catch local trains to a town on the border (using the -Lande ticket I think it's 29 euros total for up to 5 people), then taking the other 3 hours on the train the following day.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich airport to Prague

Many many thanks for the replies. I think the bus from MUC to Prague will be the way to go. Budapest is just too far for this trip.

We will each have a roller board and small carry on. I would normally take a taxi, but from what I have been reading, I will not want to deal with the taxis in Prague, so I will scope out the metro.

Thanks again!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich airport to Prague

The Metro in Prague is easy and efficient. And with a reasonable sized rollerboard and small carry on, no problem.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich airport to Prague

Thank you very much for the information. Can anyone tell me the name of the station in Prague to where the bus arrives and then departs from to go back to Munich?

Does the metro leave far from where the bus arrives/ departs?

Thanks very much!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich airport to Prague

It arrives at and departs from the main railway station in Prague (Hlavní nádraži)

As has been mentioned before - other than the fact that it has rubber tyres and goes on the road, it is operated by German Railways and treated as a train, even to the extent that it is configured like a train inside (using the same seats as an ICE, but doesn't go as fast, obviously).

The metro is easily found within the station concourse - just don't forget to buy a ticket and validate it (despite what many people say, this procedure is quite painless and the instructions are stated clearly on the back of the ticket in English) - basically just stick the ticket into one of the yellow boxes before entering the metro station which will stamp it with the time. It will then be valid for the period specified on the front.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 29 October 2012, 17:42