We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich airport to Prague

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Munich airport to Prague

Hi TA devotees! I have benefited from your kind help in every case, so here I am again!

I am investigating going Munich to Prague in late November, over Thanksgiving. It will be myself and my teenage daughter. The trip will unfortunately be very short notice, so I can't schedule much in advance. I am not interested in walk-up air fares, so the train is it!

Would anyone be able to advise me on using Deutsche Bahn from Munich to Prague. From what I have researched, it looks like at some point the journey changes to a bus? Is this a safe method of travel to Prague? How about the return? It works the same way?

As for getting from the train station to our hotel, should I arrange a transfer with the hotel? How is the metro--with luggage? The hotel I am interested in is called the Alchymist. Is that in a good area?

Many thanks for any and all advice!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Hotel Residence Agnes
Hotel Residence Agnes
#1 of 650 hotels in Prague
Hotel Pod Vezi
Hotel Pod Vezi
#2 of 650 hotels in Prague
Unitas Hotel
Unitas Hotel
#5 of 650 hotels in Prague
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Munich airport to Prague

GCEK, thank you so much for your kind help! Do you mind another question? I read on the destinations page that you can buy a 3 day pass for the metro/trams/ buses in Prague for 310 kroner and it allows you to travel with a 15 year old (and under)? Meaning one ticket for two people?

Can this pass be bought at a counter in the station or from a machine--is it pretty easy to understand, if it's a machine? That's about $16 for three days for two people, a bargain even if we rarely use it.

The destinations page says that you validate it once, via a machine?

Does this sound right? I will probably do this upon arrival if this is correct.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Munich airport to Prague

yes, all of your statements are correct.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Munich airport to Prague

You can buy a 3 day pass but a child cannot travel with you..a child needs its own ticket...the only discount is for a day pass, a child pays 55 crowns, adult 110.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Munich airport to Prague

It is actually the case according to the fares list http://www.dpp.cz/en/fares-in-prague/ - an adult 3-day pass costs 310 crowns and a 'Child, 10 – 15 years old' travels for free.

However, it is ambiguous both in English and in Czech as to whether the age range is 10-15 inclusive, as there is then another age group - Junior '15 – 19 years old', which appears to place 15 year-olds in both groups.

I suspect, though, that a 15 year-old comes under the latter category, i.e. junior. As is the Czech way they put the following little note for you to pick the bones out of: 'The following applies: commencing on the day of turning the required age and ending on the day preceding the day in which the age limit is reached.'

Why they couldn't just have used the little word 'inclusive' (včetně in Czech), I don't know, but they do love making legal matters more complicated than they really should be, a la Kafka :)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Munich airport to Prague

Rather than pondering about the adequacies of English translations and the Czech language, when in doubt make enquiries with the help centre on dpp.

Which is exactly what I did some time ago for a friend with a twelve year old.

The answer, both verbal and in writing was that a 3 day pass does not allow a child to travel free with the holder of this pass.

Of course children can travel free with an opencard, but that's not likely to be practical for a tourist on a 3 day visit.

So, if PhilladelphiaWills wants to get a 3 day pass, I suggest he gets 3 one day passes for the child at half price.

16. Re: Munich airport to Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:18