We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

I am going to Prague this Xmas and plan to get a prepaid credit card in U.K. and then withdraw currency from ATMs when I get to Prague.

The prepaid cards only seem to deal in Euros or Dollars, but I was wondering from other travellers what currency is dispensed by ATMs, Czech Crowns or Euros? I had read that I will get a better exchange rate for Czech Crowns, so am getting confused.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

You should post your question in Prague forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g274707-i96-Prag…

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

Welcome to the forums, honey882! As Hans mentioned, your topic was initially misplaced in the Support forum, however, we have since moved it here to the Prague forum where you should get a lot more response.

Enjoy the trip preparation and happy travels!

TA_Louise

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

There are no euros in any ATMs in Prague, as the currency is the Czech crown, so you certainly won't be getting euros. No idea whether your card will work and it will actually agree to give you crowns, though. A normal debit card certainly, but not sure what this prepaid card that you are talking about is.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

whats wrong with using your normal debit card, i use it all the time when I am travelling, just let your bank know you are travelling and you should have no problems.

However use it only for taking out larger amonts of money ie around £100 and for large purchases that way the better exchange rate you get through ATM's is covered by the charges that any bank makes, do not use your debit card for small purchaes

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

I expect your card will work. All that will happen is that the Crowns you withdraw will be converted back to Euros or Dollars by the card provider.

With respect, It does seem a strange way to go. As Gus says I would recommend using an existing debit card which will work at any of the ATMs throughout Prague. Just notify your bank first

Edited: 03 November 2012, 09:19
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,656 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

Totally agree with the above comments, use your existing debit card for cash withdrawals, and your existing credit card for other purchases.

Does not make sence changing sterling to euro or dollars, and then for the second time to Czech crowns.

Someone reported that they used an ATM for dollar withdrawals...there is an ATM Travelex (grey not red) in the baggage hall...ignore it, use ATMs in the arrivals hall...there are about 5 or 6 of them by the exit. The one I always use is Ceska Sporitelna which gives cash in the multiples of 200...i.e. 4800, but not 4900.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

Hey Guys, before you all think I've lost the plot, let me explain pls.

I keep reading moneysavingexpert advice to NEVER use debit cards abroad (I have Nat West Visa) as the transaction rate is huge. I got my purse stolen last year in Madrid with all my Euros in it (last day of holiday so had taken cash out of hotel safe in case I wanted to buy anything), so am worried about carrying too much cash on me again. I do not have a credit card, don't particularly want one and had read about cards that you could load up before you go on holiday. However, they will only pay out dollars or Euros. Having read that Prague does accept the Euro, I just wanted to know from other T.A. travellers who have been to Prague recently what currency the ATMs there dispense.

Now I know it is the Czech Crown tnx. which does not help me with prepaid card. If I do buy Czech Crowns would it be best to get in UK or Prague ratewise?

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

Totally understand your concerns. All I would say is that by withdrawing cash in Prague I have always got a much better rate and that has virtually cancelled out the charges made by bank.

In summary though I would buy the crowns in Prague

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,656 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

The Czech ATMs only dispense Czech crowns. And that's the best way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATMs Prague Czech Crowns or Euros

Tnx Stew2205, very helpful.

However, I am arriving late Christmas Eve and will need some cash to pay airport transfer and generally have something on me.

I may try the Travelex bureau here in London for a small amount of Czech Crowns to have on me.

I am staying at the Cloister Inn which is very central, presume ATMs not too far away.