We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of living in Prague

I am intending a one month stay in Prague in 2013 to really get to know the city and will be operating on a pretty severe budget of £100 (say 3100 korunas) a week. If I stay in a hostel in a non-tourist area and do most of my eating and drinking in the same would I still have sufficient left to visit the various sites?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in Prague

If £100 includes the cost of accommodation, even the cheapest one, then you won't even have anything left for food.

If it's just for food, then you will manage, cheap eateries at lunchtime, other food/sandwiches/beer from the supermarkets.

Then you might have a little bit left for sightseeing, but preferably those which are free or cheap.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in Prague

I personally wouldn't even attempt to make £100 last a week in Prague.. I've always found it good value, but that's almost stupidly low. £14 a day for all your food/drink and sightseeing?? As well as accommodation possibly? Even if you mean £100 just for food and drink, I don't think you'll have a lot left, no. Maybe you don't eat as much as me though!

Surely staying for just 2 weeks and doubling your budget would make more sense, unless you have a real need/desire to be there for one month. I think you could get a pretty good feel of the city in a fortnight, but again thats just me!

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in Prague

if rent is included (renting room is cheaper than any hostel) you will have very little left for food. rent starts from 3500 per month till skyhigh. 3000 per month for food if you eat mostly at home is perfectly fine. you won't starve. most of sighseeing stuff is for free and you can do it on your own. check spottedbylocals.com and http://www.newpraguetours.com/.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living in Prague

In fairness mind its a brave thing to do and a challenge

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in Prague

sure is, the cheaper hostels you could do for 300 crowns per night.....not much then left.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in Prague

I'm curious from an even longer perspective....hopefully, I will be able to retire within 5 years and am considering living in Europe with Prague as my base.....residency requirements aside, if I wanted to rent a nice 1 bedroom apartment in a very central location (i.e. Vinohardy) within walking distance to restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, etc. and enjoy a nice life eating out (doesn't necessarily have to be fine dining every night) and belong to a nice health club and socialize, could I do this comfortably on $50,000 US/ year? ...if I lived in a central location, could I get by without a car?....if I wanted to live real nice, what should I budget?--could I live real nice for $70,000 US/year?...$80,000?...thanks

Edited: 13 November 2012, 17:55
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living in Prague

I've never been to Prague but on my last visit to Berlin I spent around £500 in the week, but that was for accomodation, food and shopping plus all attractions ect, if I was on a tight budget then if I add roughly everything up:

Accomodation cost me 10euro a night including breakfast (around £7.50)

Lunch (quick sandwich or whatever) about £3

Attractions/sightseeing/tours ect (depending on what I did in the day or what your interests are) I spent around £15-20 a day

so around £30 a day but your looking at more £20 a day if you can get a really cheap hostel.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living in Prague

I think praguepivo could answer that....we have a property in Prague, so no rent, but we could live very comfortably on 50K Usd a year and own a car.

Maybe years to come when we retire I would think differently, but now, I would be bored.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living in Prague

The average wage in Prague is a little less than 30,000 Kc a month before taxes, which comes out to $18,000 before taxes for the year. So the average Czech has around $14,000 to live on for a year after paying taxes. So even spending $50,000 a year, you would still be living three times better than the average Czech. And lots of Czechs survive on half that money, even in Prague. Just to keep things in perspective:-)

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of living in Prague

thanks--sounds like Prague would be very affordable based on what I stated and would allow me to live in a nice 1 bedroom apartment, eat at nice restaurants (though not necessarily 4 star establishments every night), belong to a nice health club, and enjoy a cigar and cocktail 3-4 nights a week.