We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

Hi folks

I will be arriving around 19.00 on NYE and staying close to Mustek metro station, I am not looking for a nightclub with techno music or whatever the hell you call it these days, nor am I looking for a flashy cocktail bar, I am just looking for a good local’s pub to spend NYE in.

I have come across this place on Google Earth :-

uzlatehotygra.cz/uzlatehotygra.cz/Pivnice.ht…

Do you think it fit’s the bill and any idea if I will have to book for NYE, and any other pub suggestions in the area would be appreciated for NYE.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

I´ve never visited, but since I was passing today, I though I will look inside. However, it was closed for a private party....at least that´s what it said on the door ´obsazeno´ but I think you would like it. looks a dive, smoking is probably compulsory. But I doubt they take reservations.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

What a choice! U Zlateho Tygra is only the most famous pub in all of Prague. It is the place where the famous author Bohumil Hrabal was a regular up till his death a few years ago. When Bill Clinton visited Prague in 1994, Vaclav Havel took him there for a beer. It used to be that every place in the entire pub was reserved 24/7 for regulars - they even had engraved nameplates at each seat. Not sure if that is still the case, but I imagine it will be next to impossible to get a seat on New Year's Eve. But you can still get a beer while standing at the tap - that's what most people do.

If you want a normal pub with great food and beer, I suggest anything in the Kolkovna group - www.kolkovna.cz. Except for the Palac Savarin, which is by far the worst of the group. The closest to Mustek would in that case be Stara Celnice.

Edited: 08 December 2012, 20:20
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

uzlatehotygra.cz/uzlatehotygra.cz/Bohumil_Hr…

jumping, run the history through the translator.....the place is slightly up market to U Cerneho vola by the look of it, and if you cannot get a seat, just get a drink at the bar.....you will also have to pay at the same time.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

Thanks folks

I am sure i will still be able to stand b4 midnight, not so sure about later on though he he.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

U Pinkasu is close to Mustek and Wenceslas Square, down a quiet pedestrian street. This 50 something geezer found it very amenable, but it can get pretty crowded.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

standing is not really kosher at Tygra when it is crowded.....especially when the bartenders know you are tourists!- they usually say there is no room.

since you are solo, act like you know what you are doing and simply find an empty seat alonside the locals

Edited: 09 December 2012, 11:55
Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

"smoking is probably compulsory" HAHAHA Tilly ,Jumping will love that !(unless of course he has given up !)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

That's why I thought it would be imminently suitable, unless jumping has given up......

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

Hi folks well i just got back from Amsterdam last night where dam British Airways has managed to lose my guitar at Heathrow onward to my connecting flight to Aberdeen and I have just caught up with TA.

Firstly thanks again for the suggestions and secondly i can confirm i am still smoking, very much so in fact at the moment because i did not take out special insurance for my guitar and there is as yet still no word "DOH"!!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub on NYE for not so hip 50y old,old geezer.

What a shame....don't you carry it on?