We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior discounts

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Senior discounts

This is on the Frommers.com website:

"Seniors are normally entitled to reductions at museums, galleries, and castles. Usually the reduction is half the standard admission price for people aged 60 or over, though some attractions only discount above age 65.

Seniors (over 60) pay half price on Prague metros, trams, and buses. To get the senior discount, simply produce your passport at the ticket window and say "senior." Often you can get the discount simply for asking for it without having to show any documentation."

Can US citizens get this discount? I thought that it was only EU citizens. If we can get it, will a driver's license be okay to show? I don't like to carry my passport while I'm sightseeing. Thanks to all!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,602 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior discounts

I am quite sure you can get a senior discount regardless on nationality at attractions like museums with an identity card like a passport, not sure about

a driving licence.

Not so on public transport. You need to apply (in person at one of the ticket offices) for a transport discount card (pid card) - fill in a simple form, provide one passport size photo and pay 20 crowns. Then you can ride half price between 60 and 70, and free over 70.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior discounts

Thanks so much, Tilly. If anyone knows what form of id is acceptable, I'd love to hear so that we don't have to carry around our passports. Happy New Year!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,602 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior discounts

I suppose some of our regular prague guides contributors would know for sure.

I've just checked the Castle and the discount there starts at 65 and only states a valid 'document' required. Whatever that means,...

One could call and ask, but that's hit and miss, sometimes the info provided is not reliable.

When are you planning to visit Prague?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senior discounts

We begin our visit on August 4th. I have reservations for three nights at both the Perla Hotel and the Maximillian - just nailed them down while I look around more. Any thoughts? We will have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. We will leave Wednesday around noon for Vilshofen where we take an AMA Waterways cruise to Budapest. We are soooo excited!

I have several travel books, a great photography book of Prague, and I am relentless about TA!! I'll work on the itinerary during the next couple of months, and be back on TA for a lot of good advice. Thanks so much to all who take the time to help us out!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior discounts

Senior discount for foreigners and Prague public transport - not very good combination. Tilly is right.

www.dpp.cz ( English + fares ).

It´s easier to pay normal price, which is still reasonable.

Other places - driving licence can be accepted, but senior discounts are usually above 65.

Best regards Hana.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior discounts

I agree that the public transport costs are very low, and we'll be happy to ride the trams. And I'm really pleased about the lower attractions prices for seniors - we're all over 65! Thanks so much for your help.

7. Re: Senior discounts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:16