We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Hi I posted my itinerary before, but it has now changed, I keep finding so much things to do I'm so spoilt for choice, so trying to get in as much as possible, I have also said before and just to mention again I like super jampacked days and tend to spend less time than the average person at a destination before moving on to the next, anyway I would love to hear any comments, thoughts, suggestions on what I have so far:

Saturday:

Arrive in Prague 10am, drop suitcase at hostel, explore local area (staying in Old Town, Melantrichova), Visit Old Town Sqaure+Clock+Hall, Charles Bridge, Bridge Tower, Wax Museum, and do the statue walk which takes me to all the places mentioned above anyway.

Sunday:

Museum of Miniatures, Torture Museum, World War II In Prague Tour (2pm), Sex Machines Museum, Vytopna Railway Restaurant, Marionette Theatre.

Monday:

Terezin Day Tour (9am), Gastronomy Museum, Image Theatre.

Tuesday:

Get an early start and visit Lidice, (leave 7.30am spend around 2-3hrs there) Back in Prague approx. 11.30amish, Langweil's Model Of Prague, Ghost Museum, Petrin Hill + Funicular Railway, Ghost Walking Tour of Prague Castle after dark.

Wednesday:

Jewish Walking Tour (10am), Prague Zoo, Globe Bookstore and few other shops if time, Evening River Cruise.

Q. What time in Prague do shops usually shut?

Thursday:

Kralovstvi Zeleznic, Chocolate Museum, Marionety Truhlar shop (if time), Kutna Hora day trip (1pm), TV Tower, Folklore Evening.

Friday:

Cesky Krumlov day trip.

Leave 7am, get the 5pm bus back to Prague giving me around 6.5 hours in Cesky Krumlov, wanting to visit the castle, torture museum, fairytale house, marionette museum and backstreets.

Saturday:

Prague Castle + Toy Museum, wanting to arrive at Prague Castle around 9.30-10am and leave around 1pm giving me approx 4 hours to do some shopping before having to depart for the airport.

Some days are going to be extremely busy I know, but does this sound doable, like distances ect?

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Prague
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Discover Prague Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Taste Of Prague
Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Unity Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

One thing I noticed is Lidice. It is great that you are going there. If you have a chance, try to find the movie Lidice and watch it before. Very moving, and it will give you a lot of background information.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1754123/

But be careful about getting there too early. You wrote that you want to get an early start, but the museum doesn't open till 9 am (http://www.lidice-memorial.cz/info_en.aspx), and you don't want to stuck hanging out there for a long time in the cold before the curator shows up. The best bus to take is the 8:40 bus from the Zlicin metro station (end of the yellow B line), which gets you into Lidice at 9:01. Or the 8:20 bus from the Dejvicka metro station, which gets you into Lidice at 8:41. A bit early, but Dejvicka is probably better for you, because it is the end of the green A line and you can take the metro from Staromestska.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Thanks Jeffinprague that was really helpful, I have only just added Lidice to my list but it is one of the definite things I want to do and was looking for some more info about it, thanks for the advice about getting there for 9am, how long does it take to get round it? and is it easy to find? thanks for the movie I will definetley have a watch seems really interesting. And if I arrive for around 9am is 2.5 hours roughly enough time to get round the memorial including the museum and video bit? As I would like to be back in Prague for lunch time in order to fit the rest in. But like I said Lidice looks really interesting and has shot straight to the top of main things to do.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

It is very easy to find. The bus stops right in front of the museum. As long as you stick to the memorial and the museum, then 2 hours should be plenty. The museum is small, but very moving. Then it depends on how long you wander around the grounds. If you want to head over to the new town, which was built after WWII, then you may be pushing it, but there isn't much to see there except for the art gallery.

Definitely try to get that movie. My friend was the producer, and it is really well done.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
575 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Hi,

I'd revise all the museums you mentioned. Most of them are just tourist traps with questionable quality (wax museum, torture museum, sex machines museum, ghost museum, museum of communism etc.).

I'd opt for "real" museums such as the National museum, Museum of the city of Prague (where the Langweil's model is), National gallery (if interested in art). Maybe museum of technology (if interested).

As for theatres, I'd choose the National theatre or the state opera both having great and quality performances.

When on Petrin hill, you can visit the tower to get a lovely view of Prague and there is also an astronomical observatory so on clear nights, you can watch the stars with an interesting commentary or just go and see an interesting display of space and astronomy-related stuff.

Enjoy your stay.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

I can give you just one advice: Keep you itinerary on the paper and in your mind, but be opened for any change! If you don´t see all "tourist" museums, nothing wrong is happened and you have more time just to enjoy the city.

I am sure, you spent a long time with your research....

Again, be opened for a changes and you will have a great time in Czech Republic!

Have you seen this page?

www.praguewelcome.cz

( Visit +Prague in a nutshell)

Best regards!

Edited: 09 January 2013, 13:25
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Thanks Jeffinprague, I don't intend to visit the new town just the museum and the main memorial site, and yes I really want to see it going to have a look for it later.

Johny_r thanks for the advise, I have read that they are 'tourist traps' but I like the more touristy 'fun' things, I'm not all that into 'serious' museums if you know what I mean, just different, fun, quirky stuff. I'm going to the national marionette theatre but not interested in opera. Thanks for the tip of the observatory at Petrin Hill, I will keep my eyes open for that, and will have a look depending on time ect.

Thanks! :)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Lidice - there are 2 bus stops, one nearby the museum, the second in the village on the square and walk to the museum is just a few minutes. It´s really small place. Village was built after the WWII, but mainly for people who survived . I think, it should be also part of the visit. What is true, thanks to the new reconstructions of the houses, the village is loosing it´s original appearance. You will see also the rose garden which was reconstructed a few years ago. What´s interesting, German students helped there.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 09:24
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

There are some combined Terezin Lidice tours, but seem to be quite expensive.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

Thanks for the advice and help about buses Hana K. And Tilly41 yes I have looked at them but think they are to expensive and seeing as Lidice is only small and you can pretty much interpret the information for yourself I think I will do that alone, places like Terezin I feel cannot be fully understood done alone.

10. Re: Updated Itinerary, Is It Doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:19