We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Becherovka question

usa
Level Contributor
416 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Becherovka question

So I bought a bottle of Becherovka as a souvenir and would like to serve it to my family and friends when I tell them about my trip. Is there something I can mix this with? I did some shooters at a couple of pubs in Prague and that was ok, but I dont really see my mom downing shots of this stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Becherovka question

The first thing you need to do is put it in your freezer (Got this from the guy in the corner store where we bought it)............nds to be served ice cold..............I spoke with a lot of people who drink it..............some with fruit juice, some with sparkling (cola or other type) mixers, some even with tea.

Acquired taste...............thinking I'll stick to slivovice when I want to remember Central Europe!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Becherovka question

The usual mixer is tonic water and the result is known as 'beton' (which also translates as 'concrete').

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Becherovka question

I acquired a taste for Becherovka soon after first tasting it, some years ago. I drink it at home, but mainly I have the odd one as a chaser during an evening drinking beer in Prague/C.R. I don't down it in one, but sip it and make a full measure last as long as the beer that it's keeping company.

As tptr says, definitely better from the freezer, not the same room temperature. In summer, I would drink in a larger glass with ice, but neet in a shot glass other times.

Never been a fan of the ordinary slivovice, too much like fire-water for me, though the Williams pear slivo. is quite pleasant. I like the Becherovka for it's herbal, almost medicinal qualities. Doesn't seem to bite me too hard the morning after! Fernet is passable and even the odd tuzemsky rum is OK.

Your mum should be OK with Becherovka, very cold - neet or with ice. Just suggest that she sips it.

usa
Level Contributor
416 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Becherovka question

Ok, thanks guys. Put it in the freezer and have some tonic water and cola handy. Check. The party is this Sunday in Pittsburgh if youd like to come :). But I REALLY wish I could have brought a keg of Gambrinus home with me.....I miss that stuff already.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Becherovka question

Thanks for the invite, but I have to work this weekend :-)

One of the few benefits of living in The UK is that I can buy Czech beer from the supermarket (Pilsner, Straropramen). It's available in the US, but you have to search it out.

harpoonbrewery.com/blog/82/Harpoon-Bohemian-…

Hope you have a great party!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Becherovka question

The most popular drink "Beton" ( = concrete)

Classic from 1967, when surprised at Expo in Montreal, and still surprised by its fresh taste. In perfect hot summer days ..Recipe: 4 cl Becherovka,tonic,ice,slice of lemon. Preparation: Fill glass with ice cubes, pour Becherovka and tonic, put a slice of lemon and serve. Tip: For even more refreshing is possible to use cucumbers instead of lemon. Excellent combination, definitely try.

A lot of drinks on the web: www.becherovka.cz sorry, no English, but Google translator can help!

Edited: 13 January 2013, 12:59
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Becherovka question

'Use cucumber instead of lemon'....dear me, never tried that, sounds hmmm interesting...but I always drink it neat...properly chilled of course.

But Slivovice or Hruskovice are still my favourite.

Poprad, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Becherovka question

Check www.becherovka.com for English. Few new drinks were added recently...especially hot ones for Winter are nice.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Becherovka question

Thanks. Will have a look.

Running low on Becherovka. Will need to stock up during my trip next month.

10. Re: Becherovka question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17