We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

Hi I have just been hit with the shock that work will be cutting my days from 5 to 3 meaning a massive chunk out of my wages has been cut, and that I won't be having my pay increase (from apprenticeship wage to min wage) until my certificate is here which could take months anyway onto the problem.

I am now on a VERY tight budget here's what I have:

I can save around £690.

Splitted into sections:

My tours cost just over £200 leaving £490

My hostel £100 leaving £390

My attraction entrance fees around £100 leaving £290

Travel Expenses-£12 for Cesky Krumlov return, and two 3 day passes-£20 Leaving approx £260

Food Allowance, here I have allowed myself around £10 a day as I won't be eating out at restaurants or more exepnsive places, I have set aside £15 for the railway restaurant though. Leaving £185

I have set my shopping allowance to £130 at the minute leaving £55 extra incase needed for anything. And as I used a online currency converter to convert the czk to gbp it probably isn't 100% right so this £55 will hopefully cover any difference.

Does this sound ok? I was really hoping I would be able to buy loads of souvenirs ect what exactly could I buy with £130, I wanted things like books, a marionette, smaller souvenirs, gifts, maybe a few new clothing items or some boots. What are the prices typically like?

Also I don't drink beer or anything like that while I'm away alone, all my night venues will be covered in the tours budget, so how much spending money (meaning for food and souvenirs alone) would be spent on average a day?

If my certificate comes through before I go in March I will have around £200 more which will make my trip comfortable knowing I won't be too restricted, but I wouldn't want to take it all over in czk incase I didn't spend it all so is there anywhere in Prague where you can exchange gbp to czk?

Thanks.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,943 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

Forget paying for tours go on one of the free ones ,

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274707-…

or

If you want to stroll around and look longer at things that interest you and are prepared to learn about the city through reading a good guide book then walking on your own is best, Prague is so compact it is very hard to get lost but always easy to find somewhere new to visit.

http://www.prague.net/the-royal-route

Don't go on the ghost tour it's not worth it and I have never heard of the Ghost museum .

Torture museum-Don't bother

Marionette museum- Just go into the shop on Karlova

Sex machines museum-Don't waste your money

Wax museum -You can visit in any UK city

Evening River cruise -It's dark so you will not see anything and the food is not worth the money ,go on an hour day cruise it's long enough .

As for the Image theatre it wouldn't be on the top of my to do list but these suggestions are only my opinion :0)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,965 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

you could also consider doing some of the Free tours,i was on one last year that was quite good and it covered most of the jewish area, we didn't go in the buildings but got a look around and some good info on the place..

Kutna Hora is very easy to do on your own £15 would cover transport entrance fees and give you a lunch too.

A Folklore eevening will cost in the region of £40,i have been on a couple and had a good time BUT you can try this place.

http://www.pastyrka.cz/en/live-music/

where all you have to pay for is a meal and a drink or two.I have been there a couple of times and it is a most enjoyable place.£10 should get you a decent meal and a couple of drinks.

I do think all these tours may be a bit much because i am sure you will just love wandering around the city.I always have a big list of things to do when i am in Prgaue but i never ever get round everything.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,949 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

I agree with Torii, some of the museums on your list are really not worth the money.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

We who live in Prague cringe when we walk by those museums. We shake our heads in disbelief and wonder who would ever go into them. Prague is not about funky museums. It is about beautiful buildings and squares, quaint streets, dramatic views, majestic bridges, smokey pubs, etc. And most of those things are free.

I'd suggest getting yourself a good guidebook, reading up on the history before you come, and just enjoying yourself while you are here. Talk to the locals, not the tour guides. Get to know the Czechs who live here - normal people who aren't a part of the tourist industry. You will get a lot more out of Prague that way, and it will be a lot cheaper.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 17:40
usa
Level Contributor
416 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

I will second what Jeff said about getting a guidebook and/or talking to locals. I had the time of my life when I would just walk a couple of blocks from high-traffic tourist areas to a bar or pub on a sidestreet.

I think you will agree about the museums when you see them; theyre right in the middle of the high traffic tourist areas, and even look like cheesy tourist traps. Save those admission fees and use them for a beer or two at a local pub. You'll have much more fun, believe me.

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

Definitely skip the torture museum -- so not worth seeing (and I did not have to pay to go in).

Cesky Krumlov castle tour: 250Crowns

plus 50 Crowns to climb the tour

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

And make sure to skip the torture museum in Krumlov as well -- quite similar to the one in Prague -- neither is authentic

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

Krumlov castle-380c or 450c depending on which tour I choose

Marionette museum-80c

Fairytale house-80c

Krumlov torture museum-80c

Castle-350c

Toy museum-60c

Do you have the Krumlov castle twice or is the second price for Prague?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

Guys, the OP is asking how to save money and still take tours, and you are telling her not to take tours. That is not the answer she wants. Telling her how to save money on her tours (e.g., day cruise instead of evening) is the ticket.

On that score, here is how to cut your Terezin tour cost by about two-thirds:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274710-i15365-k…

Short version: Take a bus there for about 80c each way, and buy admission tickets (pamatnik-terezin.cz/en/138/admission-charges…) for either 170 or 210c. So long as you book in advance, your admission includes a free guided tour.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,943 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Spending Money Been Hit With A Bombshell!

I am telling her to take a free tour :0)