We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpocketing and general safety

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Pickpocketing and general safety

Visiting in may and cannot wait, recently been reading quite a few bad reports on here and elsewhere about pickpocketing from a few years ago though and just wondered what the situation is like now?

I know not to be daft with bags/wallets etc but am just curious to the extent of it. Have been to Barcelona/NYC etc in the past and never had any bother without taking mega precautions.

also will be going out at night a bit when there and our hotel is in Prague 7 so will have to travel a wee bit to get back, what are the streets like at 5/6am? Can't be any worse than Glasgow I assume haha

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,507 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

more details in right column there is a specific topic

Prague is very safe for a city if its size.

re: pickpockets.... be mindful of your wallet, surroundings like any other city...common sense,

and you will be okay.

praha
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

Agree its very safe. There are lot of opportunity thieves however, don't give them an opportunity and you should be fine (three bikes stolen in 18 months :-( )

Edited: 19 March 2013, 09:43
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

In general Prague is safe. There are not dangerous quarters like in NY, London or Paris. Be carefull about your bag and vallet and you should be OK. Pickpockets are usually not violent. Do not fall asleep in a night tram.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,947 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

As Tejas says read the top questions up on the right hand side under the heading of "Safety in Prague".

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, last thing I wanted to do was go there with a bad attitude and end up worrying over enjoying!

Sorry to hear about the bikes PB

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,947 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

No need to worry ,just go and enjoy yourself and just take the same precautions that you would take in any major city .

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

Just use common sense and don't worry. Be vigilant if travelling on crowded public transport especially the 22 tram up to the castle which can be targeted by pickpockets as the tourists have rich pickings. Another area is the Astronomical clock on the hour when everyone is looking up.

The biggest threat to safety in Prague is crossing the road - even on crossings - Czechs are not the most courteous of drivers. And trams have priority - even over pedestrians.

praha
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

AGREE on the crossings, can be real death traps, seen drivers beep at pedestrians who didin't move fast enough.....(at least with a beep you get a warning before they run you over :-) )

Ireland
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

I didnt have any problems with pickpockets when I was in Prague last yeAr, but you just need to be safe and don't leave wallets I back pockets and have carry your bags towards your chest/front of your body instead of your bAck. There are scams that I am aware of though:

I spoke to one lady that we were one tour with aNd she said she Said on the tram that morning she had been asked by a 'police' on the tram to show her passport (which thankfully she didn't have) and to pay the equivillant of 50€ as she hadn't validated her ticket on board!! Iit sounded like a scam to all of us, so just watch of for that sort of thing. (even though I am aware that you must validate the tickets) She and her friend were very shuck after the incident.

There are men around the squares aswel that ask you if you want to covert your money with them. Our tour guide let us know that the money they actually give are Hungarian money that look very like Their own currency

Also at nighttime around W.Square and Old town square there are guys who try and sell men drugs on pretty much every corner! Although they are a bit intimadating they are harmless if you respond nicely.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,507 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pickpocketing and general safety

"Also at nighttime around W.Square and Old town square there are guys who try and sell men drugs on pretty much every corner!"

.... did you speak to these guys? did they approach you? if so, you would have know their job is to get people to the bars/clubs/cabarets on the side streets! They are not sellind drugs! sheez! Adding to that Urban Legend