We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

Hi. Does anyone know where to get authentic traditional food in Prague 1 or nearby? A place that the waiters/waitresses dress up in traditional dress and perhaps since folk songs? Thank you!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

look here for details, probably your best bet

http://www.folkloregarden.cz/#

www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp…

---------

you can search in the field/box above for previous comments and suggestions

Edited: 21 March 2013, 07:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

Thank you so much!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

The trouble is that anywhere where waiters/waitresses dress up in traditional dress and perhaps sing folk songs is very likely to be far from authentic :) Such places, if they exist at all, are for tourists only.

Much more authentic is a smoky old pub out in the suburbs where you are almost guaranteed a great beer and a decent plate of goulash.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

The Folklor Restaurant is in Prague 5 - main complaint on TA.es is that the food is often not that great...49 Euros seems a bit high...Better: but still Prague 4: http://www.pastyrka.cz/

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d1…

but it's more gypsy music. www.pastyrka.cz/Jidelni_list_pivnice.pdf (price list)

baracnicka rychta restaurant Prague 1 often has some live music, not always folk, but check your dates:

www.baracnickarychta.cz/cz/kulturni-akce/

Also check Michal: http://www.restaurant-michal.cz/

Recent review: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274707-…

Edited: 22 March 2013, 12:21
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

I have been to the two places Tejahombre metions, great fun places but as authentic as the Scottish nights in my home city,all set for the tourist but the prices seem a bit high compared to the last time I went (about 5 years ago)

U Pastryka is good, I really liked the food there, the music is ok and you just might be lucky and get some dancers on.

I do remember being in a place near the bottom of Wenseslas Square during the floods of 2002 ,I think the resturant was called Pinnochio or something similar and they had a band and dancers on, don't think it exsists anymore.

BUT I am with GCEK nothing beats a pub in the suburbs, with great Beer and great Goulash, in fact one trip I am going to do a tour of the Prague pubs and rate their goulash and publish my findings, might call it "In a stew with Unclegus"

Edited: 22 March 2013, 13:00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

Thanks for the links. I appreciate it. I also read the following thread which is helpful.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k489…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

The Pragueexperience.com link did mention a restaurant that many others have recommended. It is "Terasa U Zlate Studne Restaurant." Once again, thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

As for these links, I wonder if they are the same thing. I've read some negative reviews about the first one called a Czech Folk Night Excursion. Is this also the Folkloregarden?

www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp…

www.folkloregarden.cz/the-restaurant.php

Edited: 25 March 2013, 00:55
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

www.obecnidum.cz and the restaurant there www.plzenskarestaurace.cz

The question is - is there any "authentic" restaurant in Prague 1? I don´t think so....

All folklor performaces are usually "touristy" ( the same can be a music in Plzeňská restaurace ).

If you want to see it, why not? Any choice can be interesting, it depends also on your budget....

www.umarcanu.cz

Best regards.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic Restaurant in Prague 1?

The Folklore places are two separate places.I prefered the food in the Prague Experience one but the entertainment and the layout in the Folklore Gardens was much more fun and more audience participation.

I certainly wouldn't knock them. they are fun nights out and I have enjoyed myself on them,especially when I was dancing with one of the professional dancers who was about a foot taller than I am